New Hatchling(s)

Nazman

Wow super excited, our first hatchling and another on the way.
Questions to all of you.

1. I have read here that I should remove the hatchling from the incubator as soon as possible so he/she wont roll over the other egg.
2. can the y be kept in the same tub/housing? Or in seperate containters
3. Paper towels to start with, and torn up into pieces, or just a single layer?... Should they be moist or dry? Would a small terry cloth work as well?
4. so small mealworms in a few days but wait untill they shed once. Or put in a small amout of worms now and let them eat when they want? Same with drinking water?

I think I have everything I need already as we have been preparing. Kind of like have your first kid. Came out, with out instruction manual...lol Did I mention we are super excited . Setting up go pro camera on a delay timer to try to capture the next one. Thanks much in advance for your help. Nazman

Last edited:

LepoInc

I haven't had my hatchlings yet (Though expecting eggs soon) but everywhere I read you do paper towel (Just a single layer) and keep water in there with a food dish without food. Then once they shed, throw in the mealies. I wouldn't spray the paper towel but just keep a moist hide. BUT like i said, I haven't had my own hatchlings so maybe someone else can give better advice

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's what I do (just got leo hatchling #8 of the season):
the hatchlings that go in the glass tanks have ceramic tile on the floor.
the ones that go in the rack (my overflow space) go on bare plastic which works fine.
Paper towel is OK too but don't tear it into pieces or they might ingest some
Immediately after hatching they get a hide and their enclosure is misted several times a day
After they shed, they get a humid hide, water bowl, calcium dish and mealworm dish
It's not unusual for some of them not to eat for a week or more. Just keep offering.

I keep my smallest hatchlings in a 6 qt tub or a 10x12" glass space either singly or clutchmates together. If a gecko has a growing problem or a deformity or is in any other way "special needs" it gets its own enclosure. When they start getting bigger, I may have 4-5 of them in a larger "grow out" space.

Aliza

Visit our friends