New Leo barely eats ..please help

brittneygittins

We bought a baby leo for black friday. I've only seen him eat a couple of times. I've tried hand feeding..container feeding..crickets..mealworms and nothing.. he's so skinny and no energy now..any ideas? Always in the water bowl too!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Where did you get the gecko? If you got it from a big chain pet store, sometimes the store doesn't stock healthy geckos. At this point, I think you need to do 2 things:
--make sure you have appropriate temperatures (low 90s on the floor, not the air, on the hot side) and supplementation (calcium and vitamin D3).
--Find a reptile vet (arav.com) and take your gecko for a visit.

Aliza

brittneygittins

Thanks! I got him from Petco (major chain) which I now know is a no no. I was able to figure out that if I put on both day and night lamps and take out any hides bowls or dishes he will hunt and eat..tail shaking and everything. I was so excited to figure this out!! And I dust with calcium and keep a dish of i for in the cage. Might look into the vitamins just in case. Also will be looking into vet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Glad things seem to be getting better. Once the gecko gets a little bigger, take the calcium bowl out of the cage because they can get too much. Also be sure you're providing some vitamin D3 because it's needed for the gecko to be able to metabolize the calcium (Repashy Calcium Plus is a good all in one supplement with everything the gecko needs).

Aliza

brittneygittins

I will definitely be getting vitamin d 3 as well. It might sound dumb but when his tail starting jiggling I held my breath and almost jumped up and down when he started eating them. Feeding now and he is hunting yaaay :) Question 2: I got a giant leopard gecko from my cousin. He is in a 20 gal tank that has multiple hides and accessories. I have been hand feeding him with tweezers because he doesn't seem to get them if I don't. Is it possible there are too many things in his tank? My little one does best if I take his out so I am wondering if maybe the adult has to much and that is why he doesn't hunt on his own. I might take one of his hides and give it to the baby as well so Question 3 if I do I assume I need to sterilize it somehow right?

Visit our friends