New Leopard Geko keeper

Diane Clayton

Hi we recently got our firrst Geko, Larry. we got him from a reputable breeder and the guy we got him from is a friend and says all seems well. Some general care advice would be good tho because I don,t want to be constantly phoning my friend for advice. I was wondering if it is normal for Larry to stay in his moist hide all day long, and we have a thermometer at the cool end of the tank which reads between 78 - 81 degrees, do I need to get another thermometer for the warm side to check it is warm enough. also is there any way of telling when they are ready to shed and if so how. We have the heat mat on the gorund with a 60 watt bulb above it, is this the correct set up. Also we have genuine sterilised play sand as a substrate, should I consider changing this for somethin different.
Thanks in advance for any help given

Khenut

You don't really need the heat lamp, the heat mat should be just fine. If you have the probe at the bottom of the tank it should read at the lowest 85 and at the highest 95. The heat mat should get that hot, if not perhaps try a thermostat to regulate the heat pad.
Staying in the humid hide is perfectly fine, mine do that sometimes too. It may be that your gecko is in shed, or it may just like it in there like mine does.
I'm not sure how old Larry is, but if he's a youngster, under a year, I would have to suggest against using play sand or any loose particulate substrate. Especially if you're letting the feeders run free in the exhibit, which I also would highly suggest you don't do. Feeding in a separate tank or with a dish/thongs in the best way to keep them from ingesting the dirt/sand and prevent impaction.
However, the risk is lessened as they get older but it's always there. In the end it's always just best to get tile- slate, shale, vinyl- as long as it's non-toxic and thoroughly cleaned. Good luck.

Diane Clayton

Hi Thanks for the advice, I have read a great deal on the sand issue and do not like what I read, I am planning on replacing this with lino at the weekend, Larry has his food from a dish, he is a youngster approx 8mnth old.
Thanks again for the advice. Will keep you posted.

Diane Clayton

diane-minxy-minx-albums-larry-s-pics-picture195838-larry-10-03-2013.jpg

This is Larry, he said thanks for your help

Caleb C

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum :)
In my opinion, you don't really need a thermometer on the cold side at all, you only need one for the hot side. The hot side should be in the high 80's to low 90's. Belly heat is most important, as it helps them with digestion, so only the bottom of the tank has to get to ~95. People use reptile carpet, paper towels, slate, and tiles the most as substrate. I personally use reptile carpet, as it looks clean and nice. I'm not sure if you know, but leopard geckos usually find one particular place to poop, so you can leave a piece of double folded toilet paper there to clean up easily. Their colors will get dull when they're going into shed, and will have milky white skin when they're starting to shed. How big is the tank and how many hides does it have?

Visit our friends