New leopard geko owner.

Dionne-lorraine

Good evening all,
I recently purchased a geko (very young) and I am a first time lizard parent.
I have fallen in love but find myself worrying and looking for information online.
The baby is feeding well, mix between locusts, crickets and mealworms each evening between 5-7. Using the bathroom fine and very happy exploring the new home in the evening, he/she walked across my hand today and we are at day 3.

He/she is an albino (was told by pet store) has these beautiful red/pink eyes and its sensitive to light, I was previously tong feeding - but to test eye sight I put locusts in the cave this evening and was hunting fine.

I have been trying to find out what morph, but I know they change so much. I have stumped across an enigma albino bell and I think this somewhat looks similar to what I have purchased can anyone shed any light on this?

Dionne

Attachments

• 20220802_192025.jpg
    20220802_192025.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220804_085552.jpg
    20220804_085552.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220802_175652.jpg
    20220802_175652.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm surprised it's an albino because it looks as if some of the markings are black (maybe they're really brown and I can't tell from the picture). If it has solid red eyes, it's also an eclipse. I agree that it seems to be an enigma. There is no way to know which strain of albino unless the breeder can tell you. You might want to ask the pet store if they can put you in touch with the breeder (or maybe they bred it). I can't imagine it came from the general gecko breeding stock at a big name pet store.

Aliza

Dionne-lorraine

Thank you Aliza.
The pet store has breeders they use, it isn't a chain store. The pet store told me it's an Albino but saying that some of the speckles are black.
It's has solid red yes, but it us very light sensitive. He/she is adorable and I have seen some videos online about ES and its scary for the Leo.

Do all Leo's with the enigma gene develop ES?
I'm going to contact the pet store today and also do some research.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There's someone on the forum here that breeds enigmas and feel that they have been able to largely breed out the problems. Even if yours develops a problem, it can be managed. It may require hand feeding, but it can have a good quality of life.

Aliza

Visit our friends