New new gecko isnt eating crickets?!?!

A

al56299n

About 3 days ago, I got a new gecko from vmsherp, in addition to the one I already have. The gecko I already had has been on a cricket only diet for her whole life (hes about 3 or 4 months). For some odd reason, my new gecko isnt reacting at all to the crickets, but when I put a little dish of meal worms in front of him, he eats them. Does this mean that meal worms is the only thing she will eat? Are there enough vitamins and protein in meal worms that is sufficient for a leopard gecko to live a long and healthy life? WHY CANT THIS FREAKIN THING JUST EAT CRICKETS LIKE MY OTHER GECKO?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you keep offering crickets, maybe eventually it will take them. Otherwise, you may be studk feeding mealworms. I know there is some information around suggesting that mealworms does not have adequate nutrition. However, I raise my hatchlings on mealworms exclusively and they are all very healthy.

ALiza

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
I have had geckos raised on meal worms before coming to me switch to crickets and visa versa. Just stick with it. It will get hungry at some point and it will eat what is moving.

snakegirl

Its going to be ok, Also congrats on the new gecko!So about your gecko not eating the crickets. What if that was you? eating crickets your whole life and then you get a chance to eat something new! Of course your going to try it...If your a gecko that is. Sometimes i notice they get tried of the same thing over and over..... Meal worms in my opinion are a even better feeder then crickets. switch it up a little with all your geckos so they can have the best of both worlds!

Adinar

The two females I got from a reptile show back in June were on a diet of nothing but mealies. Since we feed all of ours a varitey of mealies and crickets, it took them some time to adjust.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It can take a while for Leos to adjust to all of the changes coming into a new home. You should be able to get it switched over to crickets it may just take a few weeks. It's a great sign that it's eating at all only 3 days after arriving. A lot of geckos go on hunger strike.

W

watspoppin25a

I have two geckos from VMSherp and they all started taking crickets after the 3-4th day of having them. Don't worry too much about, and just make sure you dust appropriately. Variety is natural!

A

al56299n

I have two geckos from VMSherp and they all started taking crickets after the 3-4th day of having them. Don't worry too much about, and just make sure you dust appropriately. Variety is natural!

dust the meal worms as well? or are u talking about crickets?

RainbowGecko

You could try roaches too. My baby, which I suspect had never seen a roach before in her life, gobbled down a blaptica dubia nymph with great relish, more so than she does with mealworms.

Visit our friends