New owner, juvie approx 3 months old?

Theo

Hi there, first post here as I heard this is an excellent forum for leopard geckos. Recently my nephew's were purchased a leopard gecko from PetSmart, within a few weeks it was obvious that they are far too young for the proper care, so I am going to care for him the next couple years. I really have no clue how old he is though, I'm guessing maybe three months? He came in a tank with reptile carpet, one hide and one water bowl, with one red infrared light for heat. After my research, I have redesigned his tank now with the attached picture. Under tank heater is at 90 on the left side of the tank, consistent 72-75 on the cool side. Moist hide in the center. It is a 10 gallon tank, I'm just wondering at what age I should bump it up to 20-30 gallon, And if you think the hides in his tank are adequate, or any suggestions. Thank you so much, look forward to acquiring even more information from this site.

Forgot to mention he eats 15-18 small crickets a day for 5 days, then 10-12 small meal worms a day for 5 days. And a wax worm once a week. Still working on getting dubia roaches. Also everything is dusted in repashy calicium plus. And the bugs are gut loaded with repashy bug burger. Thanks in advance fellow reptile fiends!

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_122456951.jpg
    IMG_20210205_122456951.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210205-143509~2.png
    Screenshot_20210205-143509~2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210205_140642839.jpg
    IMG_20210205_140642839.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! Everything looks and sounds good. Sometimes the big pet stores get geckos in that are really too young, but what I can see of yours looks reasonable. It's hard to know how old a gecko is, but 3 months is probably a good guess. When it gets to adult size (maybe about 7-8") you can move it to a larger viv.

Aliza

TexAg91

Theo, I recently bought some Bug Burger to see how the gutloading goes with my feeders. Lots of good info on how to make the gel, but not so much on how much to use given X amount of Y feeder. I just want to make sure I am providing enough, but not wasting any.
Any advice would be appreciated.

NearMeGeckos

You could bumb it up to a 20-50 when it gets bigger if you want. Could also switch the paper towel out for a non adhesive under counter lining. It comes in a variety of natural colors, is easy to clean, and super cheep. I get it at Walmart.

Visit our friends