New pair of fimbriatus

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
These guys arrived this morning. Didn't take too many pics, just snapped a few while putting them into their quarentine setup. I know the quality is crappy but I was just tryin to get them put away and had to be off to work. I'll snap more once they've settled for a few days. Female is smaller, about 9-10in, male is pretty big, about 12in. They're imports, been in for a while now. Didn't want to cause too much stress, mostly just wanted to get them rehydrated from shipping and give them a chance to settle in. They're currently in a 44 gal sterelite for quarentine, will be moved to a larger planted setup once they are acclimated and deemed ok health-wise. Pretty awesome geckos. These two will be the first of many more to come. :main_thumbsup:

Female:

femalefimb1.jpg

Male:

malefimb2.jpg

malefimb1.jpg

robin

those look good! good luck with them. i am having some problems with my female right now but hopefully we can work it out .

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
those look good! good luck with them. i am having some problems with my female right now but hopefully we can work it out .

Thanks Robin. As far as imports go, I have to say they're in pretty decent shape. And the source is someone I trust who knows what they're doing.

What problems are you having? I know a lot of people have issues with fimbriatus, they're actually a pretty delicate species of Uro.

robin

she has been doing great i have her at room temps. i have cork bark and vines and plants. yesterday out of nowhere her tail was like folded or shriveled i do not think she is dehydrated. i miost her everyday. only thing i can think is stress but i just wish i knew what was stressing her.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
she has been doing great i have her at room temps. i have cork bark and vines and plants. yesterday out of nowhere her tail was like folded or shriveled i do not think she is dehydrated. i miost her everyday. only thing i can think is stress but i just wish i knew what was stressing her.

I'd consider showering her. Tail folding is usually dehydration, as you know, but it can be sign of pretty much anything being wrong. But with fimbs, I've found regular showers just seem to help them thrive, even long term captives. This pair is getting 1/2 hour every other day and I will continue to shower them twice a week for pretty much ever. What I do is take a large bin, drill some drainage in the bottom, stuff it with fake vines and put them in it in the shower under a room temp stream. The male actually started calling during it yesterday( they are LOUD :main_laugh: ). It always seems to help. Oh, and roaches. Fimbs seem to do best on a roach diet. Good luck with her.

robin

Thanks ted. I will try that this evening. Do you just put it on a gentle spray? Like i said she had been doing great. I am feeding her dubias. The showers do not stress them? Thanks for the help
she has been doing great i have her at room temps. i have cork bark and vines and plants. yesterday out of nowhere her tail was like folded or shrivel

I'd consider showering her. Tail folding is usually dehydration, as you know, but it can be sign of pretty much anything being wrong. But with fimbs, I've found regular showers just seem to help them thrive, even long term captives. This pair is getting 1/2 hour every other day and I will continue to shower them twice a week for pretty much ever. What I do is take a large bin, drill some drainage in the bottom, stuff it with fake vines and put them in it in the shower under a room temp stream. The male actually started calling during it yesterday( they are LOUD :main_laugh: ). It always seems to help. Oh, and roaches. Fimbs seem to do best on a roach diet. Good luck with her.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Thanks ted. I will try that this evening. Do you just put it on a gentle spray? Like i said she had been doing great. I am feeding her dubias. The showers do not stress them? Thanks for the help

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
Yup, I just set it for a light gentle spray and leave them. It's a trick I picked up from Derek Dunlop a while back, he's a pretty good Uroplatus guy. Some people just put them on a fake ficus and hope they stay on the plant. Personally I prefer to keep them in the shower. :p hence the tub. The idea behind the concept is that misting often forces the geckos to drink in a short allotment of time, showering them for a half an hour or so gives them ample time to drink their fill without turning the cage into a swamp. I showered all my Uroplatus, from fimbs to phants back when I kept more, and they always seemed to love it. Doesn't stress em out, they come from a place where it downpours regularly. As long as they have leaves to get under if it gets too much they're fine. A lot of times after a shower I would see copulation. And whenever I would see tail curling, even a hint of it, I'd shower immediatly. Always brought them back. With imports I always shower every other day at least for the first few weeks, then once they seem fully acclimated I drop it to twice a week.

Dubia are great for fimbs, they just seem to do best on roaches.

The thing most people don't know about fimbriatus is that they're pretty much one of the hardest species to acclimate and get breeding. I've talked to some serious Uroplatus guys who have had imports do fine for 6 months then drop dead on them. They're really tricky. Hydration is key though. The key to any Uroplatus is humidity, humidity, and more humidity :main_laugh: But for fimbs in particular, it's hydration, roaches, and LOTS of space. This pair will be in a 2X2X4ft cage once they're acclimated. And I really like screen cages for the big Uros if you can get humidity right, it's a fine balance between ventilation and humidity, They're really a lot like chameleons in that respect.

Good luck with her, she's young, so she's got a better chance than most imports.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
what do use as a substrate in your acclimation enclosures?

Paper towels. It sucks for humidity it's easier to monitor poop and feeding. I do keep a tray with sphagnum moss in it in there that covers about half of the floor, so that helps. In the permanent enclosure I will be using a cocofiber/peat moss mix, 50/50.

robin

Paper towels. It sucks for humidity it's easier to monitor poop and feeding. I do keep a tray with sphagnum moss in it in there that covers about half of the floor, so that helps. In the permanent enclosure I will be using a cocofiber/peat moss mix, 50/50.

do you have a problem with the dubias hiding under the paper towels?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
do you have a problem with the dubias hiding under the paper towels?

I dish feed. I use a large gladware bowl. The softer plastic kind so they don't damage their snouts while dive bombing. You can also use a harder bowl if you cut a piece of sponge to fit the bottom; Uros hit their prey hard, and they've been known to damage their snouts on harder stuff.

Visit our friends