New Project

Jsmithusar

Ok....I got a 18x18x24 Exo Terra Glass Cage that is curently sitting empty in my bath room. I'm thinking crested geckos but I live in WI and the temps are usually cold and unpredictable. So please people through some ideas around let's get some good conversations going. I'm bored my ADHD is kicking in and I want to start something new and fun. I'm looking to get something that's more of a climber than hideing on the ground.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
If you like to watch more than handle... Tokays are very cool. They are large, easy to see, reactive to people, can be handled (with patience) and males have a cool call. I can feed mine by hand (using tongs), but she was WC. I completely suggest finding a breeder and purchasing CB whenever possible.

You're gonna need heat in the winter with nearly all gecko species... and you need to consider humidity with many species, too.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I've got one of my cresties in a terrarium that size and it works pretty well. Gargoyles should be fine with that amount of space too. They're pretty tolerant temperature-wise (I keep my house fairly warm though), but you may have to spray them more in the winter to keep the humidity up.

Jetfire

I would only suggest tokays under 2 scenarios-
1) you are able to find a breeder and adopt a fairly recently hatched baby, which with time, patience, and lots and lots of handling can grow into a relatively handleable adult...or
2) you are a sadist, who enjoys the clamp-like vise with scales that will surely attempt to bite the bejesus out of any part of you close enough to grab.

I'm only sorta kidding about the second one, I've had a tokay clamp on and not let go for well over 45 minutes.holding it under water, spraying it in the mouth with liquor, nothing would convince it to let go. I was not pleased at the prospect of spending all night with my hand in a critter cage, I'll tell you that. I've also held one that was as calm as any leopard gecko, which was raised from a cb baby.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
If you want to handle, I gotta recommend leopard geckos. Young ones are still jumpy, but as adults are extremely tolerant. They are terrestrial, and dont climb. And thry dont require high humidity or misting. But they do need a relativly hot home.

Under tank heaters and red lights do this pretty well. I live on Lake Erie, not as far north as Wisconsin, but I dont have problems keeping them warm in winter.

Other pluses, easy to find beautiful, CB, animals and fairly inexpensive.

Jetfire

Have you considered the Halmahera Giant gecko (gehrya vorax)? They're also called the "poor man's leachie", because they get around 10-11" long, are fairly calm, and pretty neat looking. They can be kept just like cresteds (a little cooler, actually), and the care is just like cresteds.they can be found for around $60-75 each at shows and online, not counting shipping. Unfortunately, most available specimens seem to be wc, as they aren't commonly captive bred (at least, this is what my research points to...i've been reading up on these guys for months,i think i'm getting them myself the next time I see them at a show). They are fast, but not particularly bitey.they have to be gently handled, as they employ skin sloughing as a defense like some day geckos.
P1000007.jpg

Victori_Lold

No actually if you guys herd it lol steven said he new nothing about this at all he didnt kno randy was jokingly saying it. the way the interviewer was saying it he acted as if randy cotore was serious so steven gave a serious answer cause he had never seen the video of randy coture laughing or saying it was a joke all he was hearing was he wanted to fight him so i dont blame him

Star1

I live in Minnesota and I keep tokays and leos, they're fine if you have heat lamps or under tank heaters. I think gold dust day geckos are absolutely beautiful and they could use the height. But they have sensitive skin so it's not good to hold them...

GeckoGeek143

If you are looking for something cool that you can also handle I would suggest a gargoyle or chahoua. You will have to be careful it doesn't get too cold for either species but they are incredibly cool geckos. The chahoua is a bit pricier and harder to find but they are one of the more active geckos and are extremely friendly!

Visit our friends