New setup questions

Ugha

Hi all,
I'm getting prepared to get my first gecko and I'm trying to get the enclosure as perfect as possible. I intend on going bioactive in a converted 29 gallon tank set up to be tall with a homemade/3d printed front and door. I have ran into a problem though, and that's temperature.

I monitored the location I intended to put the tank for a couple weeks and unfortunately it seems that my home ranges between 60-76f this time of year, which is the start of fall. During winter it'll probably drop quite a bit more. So I'm going to have to heat the tank somehow but I can't figure out how. A heating pad/strips won't work through the thick layer of substrate and I read that any kind of heating bulb placed on top would mostly just heat the glass immediately under it instead of heating the tank as a whole. I can't place a bulb inside because the poor crestie might climb onto it.

The only solution I can come up with is a heating pad or two on the sides but I'm worried about it heating the glass too much and burning the gecko or if I use a thermostat, not heating the entire enclosure enough.

Am I over thinking this issue? Does anyone have any advice?

I want to be completely ready before I purchase the gecko as this is my first reptile and I want to take care of it properly.

Thanks

panthergecko

An option, which is quite difficult for a beginner is to remove the glass pane you intend to be the top. Then replace with like a screen or something to keep the gecko in. (It should also handle the weight of a heat lamp)

If you go this route watch multiple videos on youtube before attempting to understand the process

panthergecko

Oh a bit pricey but Radient heat panels might work. Or the always elegant run your gas bill up by turning the thermostat to a nice warm 72 - 75 for your geckos

Ugha

I did have a thought... What about if I try to completely bust out the "top" panel and replace it with fiberglass screen? Would the screen work for a heating lamp or something? I also considered making a false top inside to include heating but that's a lot of lost real estate that my crestie couldn't use.

panthergecko

I think breaking the glass is the least wise option, you will be dealing with broken glass which is very hard to clear out and some remnants might remain which your future gecko might cut themselves on.

Best option I think would be to remove the top pane / whichever side is the top and manually do the work. I think this is the best option and safest option, outside of heat panels or trying heat rope.

Could you possibly put them in a better insolated part of the house and hook up the sides and back with heat (rope / cable ) with a thermostat to keep it a comfortable 75 ~.

I am not sure if that would heat it ambiently though to be honest. As far as I know it will only heat up the side its on and not much ambient air.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm wondering if you could use a heat pad on the side (or better yet, heat cable which can be attached and then taken down and reattached) and use a thermostat to keep it in the mid 70's. My house is probably in the mid 60's in the winter and everyone is fine (my oldest crested gecko is 15).

Aliza

Ugha

I think I have a solution... I'll be using a gorilla glue and coconut fiber background to make it look more natural, I think I'll put a heat pad on the outside of the back so the enclosure can heat up but the background will prevent the gecko from getting burnt on the glass.

Visit our friends