new suprise

J

jbjb2009

So my girlfiend told me she had a suprise for me I come home to 2 new striped aft . Thet are huge I might breed them with my wild caught ones

J

jbjb2009

quarentine

I was wandering does petco quarantine there geckos.Also what does a routine quarantine consist of

L

LadyGecko

No-as far as I know PetCo does not quarantine their geckos and even if they did -you need to do as was already suggested-quarantine them when they reach your house for at least 90 days and have two fecals done
House them is separate rooms if possible and wash your hands after handling them and before touching your other aft's
Congrats on your surprise
Do you have pics yet???

:D
Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:

goReptiles

most petstores like petco do actually quaranteen them in the back for a week or two before putting them on the floor... but do quaranteen again because they cannot keep watch on all the individual reptiles and furries.

brandy101010

congrats! I always quaranteen any new reptiles for 90 days I would also suggest the 2 fecals Like felica said. They can pick anything up at a pet store! The employees most likely do not wash there hands after touching all the animals in the store and they were probably housed with other AFTs.

BluGnat

Opus
goReptiles said:
most petstores like petco do actually quaranteen them in the back for a week or two before putting them on the floor... but do quaranteen again because they cannot keep watch on all the individual reptiles and furries.
Petco does not. The critters go from the boxes they were shipped in into the display enclosures for sale.

Stitch

Nice suprise! I am starting to like the striped AFT's but I don't have any more room for more geckos.

goReptiles said:

Even 1-2 weeks is not enough time to properly quarantine. As mentioned 90 days is what is recommended with a minimum of 2 fecal tests.

J

jbjb2009

what does a quarantine consist of

and what ddoes a fecal consist of

Stitch

First you need to know for sure which gecko it came from so they will need to be seperated if they aren't already. Then when one of them poops, place it in a platic baggy and take it to the vet ASAP. It needs to be fresh so if you can't take it imediately then place it in the refridgerator. It should be no more then 24 hours old. Fecal floats will vary in cost from vet to vet. My vet charges $12 but I have heard of other vets running up to $30. They will test it (place it under a microscope) to look for parasites or worms. You should also bring the gecko along so that it can be physicaly checked and if it does in fact have anything they can prescribe medication.

Last edited:

Stitch

trizzypballr said:
do they give group discounts on fecals? like if u have 10 new geckos instead of just 1

Sorry what I meant was my vet charges $12 but I have heard of other vets that charge like $30 for a fecal. Why is it so much more, I take it they do the same thing!?

My vet will usually give me discounts when I bring more then one gecko in, he usually only charges me for one check up fee.

Visit our friends