New to arboreal gecko’s

Skar

I’m considering a gargoyle, I’m looking for more clarity on feeding.
Do you need to buy the premade mixes ?
Can you use crix and mashed fruit or baby food ?

Do I need to use spring or distilled water ?

Appreciate the insight.

Deano715

I know nothing about gargoyles but as for water, l have a Leo and a dog and we all drink spring water. It retains minerals as where distilled removes everything incliding the minerals.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've been keeping gargoyle, crested and leachie geckos for more than 15 years. I mix their food with tap water and I mist their cages with reverse osmosis water so I don't end up with mineral deposits on the glass cages. While it's possible to make your own food, I do feel that the "complete diets" are more likely to provide everything that your gecko needs. That said, when I got my first day gecko, the day gecko expert who's recommendations I was following suggested that I feed my gecko fruit baby food with some calcium mixed in and I kept her for 12 years.
Currently I feel that while you can make your own food, there's a better chance that your gecko will be properly nourished and supplemented with a commercially prepared complete diet. This doesn't mean that you can't feed it crushed fresh fruit as well.
I feed all my CGD ("Crested Gecko Diet") eaters, which includes 5 crested geckos, 8 gargoyle geckos, 1 leachie and 2 day geckos, on Tuesday and Friday evenings and I feed them dusted crickets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. My geckos range in age from 6-17.

Aliza

Skar

I've been keeping gargoyle, crested and leachie geckos for more than 15 years. I mix their food with tap water and I mist their cages with reverse osmosis water so I don't end up with mineral deposits on the glass cages. While it's possible to make your own food, I do feel that the "complete diets" are more likely to provide everything that your gecko needs. That said, when I got my first day gecko, the day gecko expert who's recommendations I was following suggested that I feed my gecko fruit baby food with some calcium mixed in and I kept her for 12 years.
Currently I feel that while you can make your own food, there's a better chance that your gecko will be properly nourished and supplemented with a commercially prepared complete diet. This doesn't mean that you can't feed it crushed fresh fruit as well.
I feed all my CGD ("Crested Gecko Diet") eaters, which includes 5 crested geckos, 8 gargoyle geckos, 1 leachie and 2 day geckos, on Tuesday and Friday evenings and I feed them dusted crickets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. My geckos range in age from 6-17.

Aliza
Thank you. That was a very thoughtful and well written response.
I am very jealous of your leachie.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I got her about 12 years ago as a hatchling for $200 since she is mixed locale. I was told she was a male so I named her "Igor" and thought that until about 7 years ago when she laid an egg! She's still Igor.

Aliza

Skar

I got her about 12 years ago as a hatchling for $200 since she is mixed locale. I was told she was a male so I named her "Igor" and thought that until about 7 years ago when she laid an egg! She's still Igor.

Aliza
I had a chance about 12 years ago to buy one for 100$. I really regret not buying that one now.
I’m deeply considering skipping the gargoyle gecko for a leachie, buy once cry once. I’m a little surprised to read they can be feisty about handling. Is that true in your experience?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, my leachie went through an extended adolescent period where she hissed and tried to bite me every time I put my hand in the cage. It got so bad I had to use one hand with a toilet paper roll to fend her off and use the other to get her food bowl in and out of the cage. At this point she's a sweetie and will let me pick her up.

Aliza

Krystal10

I’m considering a gargoyle, I’m looking for more clarity on feeding.
Do you need to buy the premade mixes ?
Can you use crix and mashed fruit or baby food ?

Do I need to use spring or distilled water ?

Appreciate the insight.
you probably could use Pangea and any water.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use tap water to mix my CGD (Crested Gecko Diet) powder. I feed that twice a week and feed crickets twice a week. Some people do use baby food but I worry that all the correct nutrients won't be in that.

Aliza

Krystal10

I use tap water to mix my CGD (Crested Gecko Diet) powder. I feed that twice a week and feed crickets twice a week. Some people do use baby food but I worry that all the correct nutrients won't be in that.

Aliza
I didn't feed crickets to my crested gecko. I did not use baby food. Just their food. Pangea. Look on Amazon.

Skar

This is all for just deciding if or what I really want to commit to.
appreciate the insight.

Visit our friends