new to crested geckos

soccer416

hello, i recently posted on the african fat tailed gecko forums saying how i wanna get one of those and w.e but the stores near my place dont carry AFT. Anyways i was looking at cresties and im starting to like them alot, my local pet store carries cresties and i just need a little bit of information on there habitat. I have a 10 gallon tank(i heard thats a good size for a crestie), now all i need to know is about the lighting and heating how many watts and how humid does there tank need to be?

ento890

An adult crested gecko should have a 12x12x12 minimally. A 10 gallon may be good for a juvi, but not too much an adult.

They require no alternative lighting because they are nocturnal and thrive at room temperature.

I spray my tanks only once a night, but depending on how dry your climate is, some people may need to spray once in the morning and once at night.

soccer416

An adult crested gecko should have a 12x12x12 minimally. A 10 gallon may be good for a juvi, but not too much an adult.

They require no alternative lighting because they are nocturnal and thrive at room temperature.

I spray my tanks only once a night, but depending on how dry your climate is, some people may need to spray once in the morning and once at night.

i keep my tank in my basement and the temperature drops below 65 so im pretty sure i would need some lighting and heating right? Also do you know the life span of a crested gecko?

The Gex Files

Nice to hear that you are going for a crestie. They are great!
Crested geckos are quite easy to keep.
The like to climb so a high vivarium is recommended. A vivaruim with a size of 50x50x70 cm is fine for a pair.
They don't require special lighting (since they are nocturnal) and no high temperatures. We just keep them on room temperature (22-25 degrees centigrade daytime and 20-22 degreed centigrade at night) with a low wattage light bulb.
Just make sure they have plenty places to hide and lot's of climbing to prevent them from getting "Floppy-tail".
As substrate we use Jungle bark,this gives the vivarium a natural look.
The humidity should be around 70%. You can reach this by misting the vivarium once or twice a day. We use artificial plants in all our vivariums cause they are easy to clean, but you can also use real plants. Just make sure they are not poisonous.
Rhacodactylus can live up to 30 years and maybe even longer.

soccer416

Nice to hear that you are going for a crestie. They are great!
Crested geckos are quite easy to keep.
The like to climb so a high vivarium is recommended. A vivaruim with a size of 50x50x70 cm is fine for a pair.
They don't require special lighting (since they are nocturnal) and no high temperatures. We just keep them on room temperature (22-25 degrees centigrade daytime and 20-22 degreed centigrade at night) with a low wattage light bulb.
Just make sure they have plenty places to hide and lot's of climbing to prevent them from getting "Floppy-tail".
As substrate we use Jungle bark,this gives the vivarium a natural look.
The humidity should be around 70%. You can reach this by misting the vivarium once or twice a day. We use artificial plants in all our vivariums cause they are easy to clean, but you can also use real plants. Just make sure they are not poisonous.
Rhacodactylus can live up to 30 years and maybe even longer.

Thank you for the info, and i have all that type of stuff for climbing and hiding because i used to have a chamellion. Okay but are you sure cresties can live 30 years if so i dont think i would be commited enough for a 30+year old gecko. A worker at my local pet store told me 10-15 years?

The Gex Files

You're welcome!
They can get really old. It isn't know how old they can get.
But there are some people with cresties who are near 20 years of age and still breeding.

Visit our friends