New to Geckos!

Jackedgar1

Hi people iv just got a Gecko he/she is 8-10 months old and want some tips iv done a lot of research as you do but would love some pointers

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
We will be happy to provide pointers but it's easiest to do that by responding to specific questions. In general, the things that have to be correct are temperatures, food and supplementation. If you have questions about those things, ask away!

Aliza

Jackedgar1

My main question is about heating its self so at the moment I'm using a red heat lamp which is getting to about 33c/91f which iv read is good for the hot side but the red light its self is bad for the gecko

JadedGeckos

the only time i would say your gecko would get annoyed by the heating lamp is that night since the light can bother them abit. but you can allways turn it off during the night if you want. since well they wont die from it.

but the general thing about the heating lamps that give out red light or such is that it bothers them when they sleep. so some get a ceramic heating lamp for 24/7 heating. but imo it wont hurt them if you turn off the heater at night since i doubt it will drop below 24-25c wich is fine for leopard geckos at the cool end.

but i also dont think they will care too much about the red light aslong as they have a good hide wich dosent let in too much light. then they would just sleep in there if they are annoyed.

Jackedgar1

the only time i would say your gecko would get annoyed by the heating lamp is that night since the light can bother them abit. but you can allways turn it off during the night if you want. since well they wont die from it.

but the general thing about the heating lamps that give out red light or such is that it bothers them when they sleep. so some get a ceramic heating lamp for 24/7 heating. but imo it wont hurt them if you turn off the heater at night since i doubt it will drop below 24-25c wich is fine for leopard geckos at the cool end.

but i also dont think they will care too much about the red light aslong as they have a good hide wich dosent let in too much light. then they would just sleep in there if they are annoyed.

Jackedgar1

I think it drops below 20 in my house at night so I'm currently keeping it on all night have been watching him a couple of hours before I go to bed and he seems content with it as he would lay under his hot hide for quite a while, during the day he spends most of it in his cold moist hide and sleep very well im hoping he will feed tonight I have bought a heat mat as well but need something to regulate the heating so am hoping that will come tomorrow , cheers bro

Visit our friends