New to Leopard Geckos

rob.kolm

We just got a Leo for my 6 year olds room and I want to make sure we have set it up right.
29 gallon tank. Small heat pad on hot side bottom , 150 watt ceramic on hot side for day, 50 watt night bulb for night. Ceramic tile on most of the enclosure with reptile carpet on cool side. Hidey hole on cool side with moist reptile moss. He is a baby so feeding pinheads and small mealworms. Anything else I should be doing? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412441845.194455.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412441859.945624.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412441872.924270.jpg

laurahlove

Are you dusting the food with calcium and vitamins? Make sure you do that. You need calcium with D3 and without, and a vitamin supplement. What are your temps? Im pretty sure a 150 watt is way too hot.

rob.kolm

Hot side about 90 cold side about 80. I can move down to a 100 watt ceramic if need be.

laurahlove

You want your warm side to be in the high 80s, (about 88) so I would just advise you to make sure it doesn't go any higher, and if you can since its such a big tank, try to bring down the cool side to around 76 or so. They need to be able to have a lot of different 'options' in temps in case they get too hot or too cold. :)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Looks like a good setup! Another trick with the higher wattages would be to just move the fixture back a little bit. That should lower your temps enough
Welcome to GT!

Visit our friends