Newbie here w/ Newbie Q's!!

F

FoHGoR

Hello All!

My name is Kris and I've always wanted to start an amphibian or reptile terrarium. Well, my son, Kristoffer, is at the age (4) where he's really into creepy crawly things, so I'm going to use this Christmas as an excuse to put together a home for our first pet gecko. Because of their habitats and the fact that they're not always hiding in a cave during the day, I've decided on starting with a Crested Gecko or two. Though I think I would like to also start a second cage with one of the many gorgeous leo's I've seen on this board.

On to my newbie questions:

1) What do the numbers that are next to the gecko breads represent, i.e. 1.0.1?

2a) I'm having trouble understanding the term, "HET". I know it has to do with the animals genes, but that's all.

2b) Is there a chart/website that will explain what, "Super Giant Tangerine CT Jungle 100% Het Albino Male" and "Giant APTOR X Red Stripe X APTOR" might mean? I look at one with one description then look at another with a different, but the gecko looks the same?? I guess I'll get it in time...

3) Are live plants a good idea with Cresties? If so, where can I find a list of safe plants?

4) If the care sheets are similar can two different breeds of geckos be housed together? (I'm thinking not, but I thought I'd ask)

Okay, I think that's it for now, but if I can think of anything else you'll be hearing for me.

One last thing - this site is great. It's members seem more than willing to help out the rest of the beginners and I've yet to see any of the flaming that I've seen on other (non-gecko) boards. [/butt kissing]

Regards,
Kris

eyelids

Bells Rule!
FoHGoR said:
Hello All!

My name is Kris and I've always wanted to start an amphibian or reptile terrarium. Well, my son, Kristoffer, is at the age (4) where he's really into creepy crawly things, so I'm going to use this Christmas as an excuse to put together a home for our first pet gecko. Because of their habitats and the fact that they're not always hiding in a cave during the day, I've decided on starting with a Crested Gecko or two. Though I think I would like to also start a second cage with one of the many gorgeous leo's I've seen on this board.

On to my newbie questions:

1) What do the numbers that are next to the gecko breads represent, i.e. 1.0.1?

2a) I'm having trouble understanding the term, "HET". I know it has to do with the animals genes, but that's all.

2b) Is there a chart/website that will explain what, "Super Giant Tangerine CT Jungle 100% Het Albino Male" and "Giant APTOR X Red Stripe X APTOR" might mean? I look at one with one description then look at another with a different, but the gecko looks the same?? I guess I'll get it in time...

3) Are live plants a good idea with Cresties? If so, where can I find a list of safe plants?

4) If the care sheets are similar can two different breeds of geckos be housed together? (I'm thinking not, but I thought I'd ask)

Okay, I think that's it for now, but if I can think of anything else you'll be hearing for me.

One last thing - this site is great. It's members seem more than willing to help out the rest of the beginners and I've yet to see any of the flaming that I've seen on other (non-gecko) boards. [/butt kissing]

Regards,
Kris

Welcome Kris!

I don't keep Cresteds so I'll answer what I can.

1) The numbers represent the quantity and sex of someone's group. 1.2.3 would mean 1 male, 2 females, and 3 unsexed.

2a) Het is an abbreviation for heterozygous and it means the animal carries the genes for said trait, but doesn't express the trait outwardly.

2b) Steve Sykes has a great guide. Found here.

3) I believe live plants are ok as long as they aren't toxic.

4) I highly suggest that two or more different species should NOT be kept together; regardless of their similarities.

You've found THE BEST place on the net for geckos! Have fun teaching your son about the wonderful world of reptiles!

F

FoHGoR

Thanks for the welcome and especially to 420 for the answers! That clears it up quit a bit though, like most things, it will still take some time to understand it all.

Cheers,
Kris

S

sportbike_rob

420Geckos said:
1) The numbers represent the quantity and sex of someone's group. 1.2.3 would mean 1 male, 2 females, and 3 unsexed

ooooohhhhhhh!!!!!! so thats what they mean...., i too was totally confused by these. im guessing unsexed is ones that are too young to tell weather or not its male or female.....at first i just thought that meant they were deprived...lol (how bout that for the corny joke of the day) :main_laugh: :main_rolleyes:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Welcome to GeckoForums.net! This the THE place to share and learn about our little gecko buddies for sure!
Het is an abbreviation for heterozygous and it means the animal carries the genes for said trait, but doesn't express the trait outwardly.
Mike is right on... but I would only like to add that hets carry the genes for a recessive trait.

Scott&Nikki

Hi Kris, welcome to the Forum. I am very new here myself and you hit the nail right on the head. Everyone here is more helpful than I could have imagined. That may be how I got hooked so quickly. I am just learning everything and trying to provide my leo with the best care I can, and everyone here puts up with my many stupid questions (and responds quickly). Who knows what they are actually thinking, though. haha... I would love to see pics once you get everything set up as well. Good Luck!

Visit our friends