Next Year

barry316

This year I had 5 eggs layed. 1 hatched 2 rotted and 3 were still born. I opeded the egg way after the egg should have hatched. The gecko was in it devoloped. Most of the yoke was gone but the gecko was dead. The eggs were placed in the incubator hours after been layed. The eggs were not rotated when coming out of the lay box
Is there anything I an do to try and stop this?

This is my first season.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you read the breeding posts of the past few years, you will see that some years (2008 to be exact) many people had terrible breeding results and other years some people did well and others did very badly. There are some factors to consider, but even with these factors considered, there have been people who had radically different outcomes in different years with the same breeders, equipment and husbandry. If you had first time breeders, there's even more of a chance that things would not go well.

Here are some things to consider:

--are the females properly supplemented; are they getting enough calcium, D3 and vitamins (even if you're providing it, they could not be getting enough. For example, if you're dusting their feeders but they're not eating them immediately, they may not be getting enough)

--is your incubator at a good temperature and is it maintaining that temperature with less then 2 degrees fluctuation. For example, someone using a hobovator without a proportional thermostat may have a poor outcome due to temperature fluctuations

--is your incubation medium correct --not too dry and not too wet?

--are your females first time breeders who will improve with age?

--is there some kind of previously unknown fertility issue with any of your geckos, or tendency toward deformities or improper development?

I would say that the last question is the least likely, but must be considered.

I hope things go better for you this coming season.

Aliza

Visit our friends