Nightlights?

Geckomaster743

My night lights broke last winter and I wanted to ask what color bulb I should be using for night lights. I live in Texas so I don't have a source of heat at night during the summer ( It gets really hot here and I keep the air up so they are fine ) but I thought I should get the night lights early while having the summer sale and before it gets cold in winter. I used to use black bulbs but I heard that UV light isn't good for the geckos but I already use Red lights in the day. Heat pads are kind of expensive at the minute and I've heard a lot of stories about malfunctions. Suggestions please ;)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I use red lighting for night light. It's lower in the spectrum and seems to disturb them the least. The key, as you said, is making sure it doesn't heat things up too much!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't bother with night lights at all. I supply all heat through heat mats or heat cables. The cables are nice because you can change the configuration any time. They are coated in rubber which makes me feel more secure with them. I've been doing this for 11 years with no problem.

Aliza

Geckomaster743

I don't bother with night lights at all. I supply all heat through heat mats or heat cables. The cables are nice because you can change the configuration any time. They are coated in rubber which makes me feel more secure with them. I've been doing this for 11 years with no problem.

Aliza
Sorry for the late response but how would I set those up? I use 10 gallon glass aquariums that stay on the floor, Not a shelf unit type set up

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Get the cables (they come in different lengths, but remember, that there is always 6' that isn't heated, so the 11' smallest size only provides you with about 5' of heated cable --I use the 14' length for a 20 gallon long).
Empty the tank and turn it upside down.
Using Nassau tape (foil tape with adhesive backing --look it up, available at Home Depot), tape the heat cable in a sine curve configuration (there are instructions in the box) to cover the area you want to heat
Turn the tank upright again. Put a domino or a small bathroom tile (available at a place like Home Depot for very little money) under each corner to raise the tank about 1/4" and vent the heat from below.

Does that seem clear?

Aliza

Geckomaster743

Get the cables (they come in different lengths, but remember, that there is always 6' that isn't heated, so the 11' smallest size only provides you with about 5' of heated cable --I use the 14' length for a 20 gallon long).
Empty the tank and turn it upside down.
Using Nassau tape (foil tape with adhesive backing --look it up, available at Home Depot), tape the heat cable in a sine curve configuration (there are instructions in the box) to cover the area you want to heat
Turn the tank upright again. Put a domino or a small bathroom tile (available at a place like Home Depot for very little money) under each corner to raise the tank about 1/4" and vent the heat from below.

Does that seem clear?

Aliza
Yeah thank you this is really helpful ;)

Visit our friends