NIU

Scott&Nikki

Hi everyone,

I'm sure most of you have already heard about the shooting here at Northern Illinois University. If not, I'll give you a brief summary: Around 3pm CST on Feb. 14, 2008 a gunman opened fire in Cole Auditorium (a large lecture hall) with a Shotgun, Glock, and another small calibur gun. There are conflicting reports about the number of people shot, but it seems to be 21 plus the gunman making the total 22. As of the moment, 6 people (including the gunman) have died. There are at least 6 others in critical condition. If anyone wants more info, I can try to answer them, as we are being updated here on campus very often. You can also go to almost any news station, channel, or website (chicagotribune.com, chicagosuntimes.com, wgn.com, newyorktimes.com and the NIU website itself: www.niu.edu, just to name a few) and read up on it.

I just hope you guys can please keep NIU in your thoughts.

Thank you.

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I just can't believe this.........what a horrifying and senseless tragedy. :main_no:

You (and all of NIU) are in my thoughts.

paulnj

I don't want to be banned, so my simple reply is :shocked2: :main_no: :main_thumbsdown: :main_no:

Scott&Nikki

Jeanine, yes I am on campus and was a block away (in view) of the building where it happened. About 2 minutes before my class got out i heard all of this yelling and screaming outside followed by ambulances and police cars. When I got outside everyone was running and I had no idea what we going on. I finally overheard someone running past me on the phone and I got to my car, but it took me close to 45 minutes to get to my apartment from campus (normally 2-3 minutes).

Unfortunately, the first name they released to the public I do know. Luckily he will be ok, but he was shot in the neck twice. I have a class with him the class right before this all happened. If any of you are in Chicagoland and watch WGN, they have mentioned him (Patrick) a lot because he was an intern there working under Tom Skilling. Just shocking to walk out the door talking to this guy every Tuesday and Thursday and just hours later see him on TV after being shot during this.

One of the ones killed went to a high school near me and was friends with one of my closest friends here on campus.

Its been rough for everyone here. Everyone has their own stories, and all are just shocking to all of us. Again, I just want to thank everyone giving their support to the victims and the NIU community.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
I'm sorry to hear this! I don't watch the news so this is the first I've heard of it. You all are in my prayers and I hope the guy you know will pull through. That is an awful thing to happen on campus...a place that is supposed to be a safe and secure place to learn. I can't imagine it happening here. :( You are lucky to be ok, and good thing no one you really knew was in there.

That is so disturbing. I am soo sorry! I'm praying for you and your school.

D

Double LY

I kept telling my husband last night that I swear I know someone from Northern. Being from Illinois (where my heart will always be) this is just devastating news. My mother-in-law hadn't heard about this yesterday when we called and was trying to go through the list of college kids in her head that we may know. What a horrible thing - Scott and Nikki you are definitely in my thoughts.

Scott&Nikki

Thanks guys... Now that everything is sinking in more and the facts are starting to present themselves, there has been a real sense of community here. Everyone's support has helped us exponentially.

Visit our friends