No eggs?

Yarok

Hi, I purchased a pair of crested geckos on Jan 6 and I have not noticed any mating at all. I was under the impression that if you put a male and female together then its kind of a sure thing. Is it possible that I ight be doing something wrong? any tips would be helpful. Thanks guys.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't do cresties, but based on my experience with leos, gargs, fat tails and banded geckos, unless you're sitting around 24/7 watching them, they can mate without you seeing it (or not). I have geckos that I've never seen mating and gotten plenty of healthy babies. Breeding season has started. So far I have 1 clutch of garg eggs, 2 clutches of leo eggs and 3 clutches of fat tail eggs.

Aliza

Yarok

Well obviously they could be mating when im not around but i ave had them for about 2 month now and they haven't laid any eggs

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not usually a question of "like". They don't date or anything. There are other possibilities: the female isn't ovulating, one or the other isn't fertile or is too young. Like cresties, I can't see ovulation or eggs in my gargs the way I can see them in the leopard geckos. One thing I do with the gargs is to weigh the females each night. Weight gain suggests she's gravid and sudden weight loss of 4 grams or more indicates she's laid the eggs.

Aliza

Geckomaster743

Yeah, She could be too young to lay eggs. Normally a safe breeding weight is 40Grams. They can breed below that but its not healthy at all, There are a lot of chances of getting Undeveloped, or Hatchlings with disorders when you breed below safe weights.

Geckomaster743

Thats a good sign c: What are you going to incubate the egg's in, If you look in some old breeding topics we have a ton of great information about Vermiculite, Pearlite , Etc.

Yarok

I have know idea. Never done this before. I was told that I don't need an incubator, is that true?

Geckomaster743

I would suggest an Incubator or a Hovabator from LLL Reptile. They have some specials, And its better to keep the Temp rounded at a certain Number. Having it too high or low will some times give you geckos that are aggressive and will not breed. If you breed at the recommended temps you can at least choose the gender of the gecko your trying to hatch and avoid getting a aggressive hatch-ling.

Visit our friends