No red lights?

CallDr

I used to use red lights for night and heating and stopped. It seemed that the eye sight and overall alert acting and feeding slowed down after extended use.

I stopped using the Red lights and Dark room at night and found that the activity and eye sight to see feeders was much better.

I have no proof that Red lights hurt or harm the geckos mind you. I just did my own test......

Here is Chloe now ( BS from Hiss ) and she is sweet, fat and very healthy eater! Plus he eye sight seems much more "alert" and focused.

chloe10.jpg

Jordan

ive never agreed with lights, i know many people do but id just never use any lights with them tbh. so im glad youve found good results without therm :)

Daylight_Thieves

Leopard Gecko Addict!
whenever I used Red heat lights one of them got really lethargic and was losing eyesight- like you- and another one seemed to hiss at and try to climb up the walls to get at the light... It's interesting because leos shouldn't be able to see red light but about half of mine HATE them...

Thankfully, now I just use uth's.... This is an interesting test. :)

Taquiq

JK Herp
When I used red lights a I also found that the leos were more lethargic and slowed down eating. When I switched to UTH's they became there selves again. I think leos don't get enough heat (especially belly heat) from most lights.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I use red lights for viewing. My geckos seem to do fine with red lights, maybe they just got used to it. I used to think geckos can't see the red light, but later found out that wasn't true, they can see red, but just that red doesn't bother them as much.

This may sound weird, but I think my geckos recognise me as a safe being when the red lights are on. If I walk in their room while in complete darkness, a lot of them will freak out and run back to their hides; or, try to attack me through the glass. If I turn on the red lights first, all is fine.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Bonnie, what is your light schedule?

I don't have one. The gecko room has a big window, so natural light during daytime. I have red lights installed on the ceiling, I turn them on whenever I walk into their room at night.

Glass_

Does anyone know about purple light? I have a purple light that I sometimes use with them for viewing, and they didn't seem to have any problems. I haven't been using it recently, and there have been no changes.

fl_orchidslave

I don't have one. The gecko room has a big window, so natural light during daytime. I have red lights installed on the ceiling, I turn them on whenever I walk into their room at night.

Ok thanks Bonnie. That's what I was thinking, using lights for short periods as opposed to regimented timer type usage.

Designer Geckos

Contributor
We use red lights in all our 18x18 Exo terrariums with no ill effects at all. Of course we do not use them for heat, only for viewing purposes. We only use 15 watt Zoo Med reptile bulbs, one per light hood, and leave them on 24/7. It provides some minimal ambient heat for the terrarium, and is great for viewing. (We use UTHs for belly warm hide heat with Herpstats set at 90-92.)

The bulbs do not last very long if you turn them on and off all the time, so it is best just to leave them on, like a night light....they last much longer then.

Our geckos eat like pigs so I do not feel the red lights have an adverse effects. I also think leos do see some of the red light, which makes them more comfortable coming out at night as someone mentioned.

Finding these 15 watt red bulbs can be a challenge, so many must use them...

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Here is my gecko room with red lights installed on the ceiling, I use 60W bulbs. My leos don't mind these lights at all. In fact, they all come out to "greet" me when the lights are on; and go back to sleep when I turn off the lights and leave their room.

Setup1201_R.jpg

Last edited:

prettyinpink

Here is my gecko room with red lights installed on the ceiling, I use 60W bulbs. My leos don't mind these lights at all. In fact, they all come out to "greet" me when the lights are on; and go back to sleep when I turn off the lights and leave their room.

Setup1201_R.jpg

Wow I love your setups!

Mine are the same, they won't come out if the normal light is on (room lighting) but if I turn the lights off and the red lights on they'll come right on out. I'd love to hear more about the red lights because I was told they were fine...now hearing they aren't concerns me. It can get chilly in here during the winter so I like to turn them on, but now hearing they can be bad for my guys I don't want to use them.

I heard Ultra Violet lights (the fun black/blue lights) were horriable so I won't use those. Now to hear the red lights are that bad too. Wow :main_no:

Visit our friends