No upper eyelids

What would you do?

• Cull

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Give him some time, and see how he does.

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • Raise him up, and adopt him out

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Other, please post

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Halley

Sorry I posted this thread earlier, but forgot the poll. Can a moderator please delete the last one? Thank you.

I hatched these two Mack Bell Enigmas yesterday. One is perfectly healthy, big and robust, and he should grow fine. The other one is missing his upper eyelids, and I’ve considered culling him, as I’m sure it’s painful. I stated a poll up at the top to gather opinions, and find out what people would do, without the fear of being judged. Thanks for all your help!

MackBellEnigmas.jpg

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
If the gecko cannot close it's eyes, it will be blind. The eyes will dry out and can become infected and the gecko will suffer tremendously. I'm sorry that you have to make a decision like this... but in that case I whould humanely euthanize the gecko.

If it eats.. and grows ok.. You could just give it eye drops daily.. Or see if you could find someone that would be willing to take care of it. It really depends on what you are willing/want to do.

I have seen someone [kristi] on here with a leo that hatched out with little to no eyelids.. They actually grew back.. [not as severe as you are describing.. but here it is]

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Try to get a really clear photo of the eyes that you can blow up on the computer. Sometimes its hard to tell how severe the deformity is right after they hatch because they're so tiny. If there's no hope of it being able to close its eyes then euthanasia would be the kindest thing.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Ours was missing the eyelids and they somehow appeared a couple/few weeks later. I noticed that he could raise the lower eyelids enough to where to eyes were almost closed. Maybe yours will be able to. I would give it a few days and see how things go. Good luck and I hope the little one will do ok.

Halley

Okay, well I think I’ll give him a week. If he seems to get better in that week, I raise him and adopt him out. If he seems to get worse, or if I think he has gotten to bad, I’ll put him asleep in the week or after the week is up.

THE WHISPERER

I hatched a male tremper this year with no upper eyelids due to an incubator malfunction. I didn't think he would be able to see food, but I watched him for a few days and he started eating! He looks strange, but he is now in the 35-40 gram range, he eats as much as any other gecko, and has an awesome personality. So I say give it some time, and see if it thrives:main_thumbsup:

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
It all depends if he can close his eyes. If he cannot close them at all, then it's just like Marcia said, and I would humanely euthanize him too.

nats

Out of curiosity, what method do you guys use to euthanize?

If it's suffering, I think you should do it.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
let it live :) I have two geckos with eyelid deformities I adopted from a breeder on here and they are doing great. Not the fattest geckos, but not skinny either. One of them however almost has its eye shut closed and when it sheds the skin gets stuck on the eye and gets stuck in there until the next shed :( . Its challenging working with her, but I wouldn't give her up unless it became a Truly major problem.

Halley

He’s doing okay. I cannot actually tell what’s going on with the eyes right now. I think they’re almost sunk in if that makes sense, but he doesn’t seem to be in any pain. I’d get pictures but I cannot get clear ones for whatever reason.

eyelids

I have a gecko with something like this one eye lid is missing the middle porshion so it looks like a slit in her eye lid and the other is not big enough to shut completely her head is also some what miss shaped she is very healthy but she did have a rough start. Shed problems did happen I keeped a shed box in her bin 24/ 7 she had a few clutches last season and the offspring did not have the same eye lid trait I took her to our vet he said she would be fine but, he has not seen anything like it before so it would be a 50/50 chance that it would be bad enough to cause her eye damage or even death but she is fat and healthy so i would wait it out and put a shed box with forest bed in it and keep it like soggy cereal i changed it before it got midewed this worked for me i also fed her worms i will post some pics. for you tonight thx

Last edited:
here are the pics of my sunglow with the eyelid thing

Sunglow with eyelid problem hope this can help a little with some better out look on this subject for you .I think you probably should take the gecko to the vet and see if there is some kind of drop or ointment of some kind. Best of luck.

Last edited:

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
i voted grow him up, but i did it quickly without thinking very much, i was going for compasion. cull is my real vote, as it is the most compasionate thing to do.

Halley

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I culled him a few days ago, but forgot to post. After a few days his eyes seemed to get really bad. One of them seemed to be pretty infected, and started to bulge, and they where both kidda crusted over (sort of like the eye bugger you get sometimes in the mornings). This is the fourth gecko I had to cull this year. One was a hatchling that failed to thrive, one was a tremper giant that had some kind of organ failure, and the last one besides him was actually his father, which had to be put down for the same reasons as the tremper giant. :(

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I culled him a few days ago, but forgot to post. After a few days his eyes seemed to get really bad. One of them seemed to be pretty infected, and started to bulge, and they where both kidda crusted over (sort of like the eye bugger you get sometimes in the mornings). This is the fourth gecko I had to cull this year. One was a hatchling that failed to thrive, one was a tremper giant that had some kind of organ failure, and the last one besides him was actually his father, which had to be put down for the same reasons as the tremper giant. :(

I missed your post.. Sorry to hear about all of this. :(

Visit our friends