Noob here

Leanne

Hello ladies and gents... ive recently acquired myself two day geckos... I am a first time owner and have always been intrigued by them... I only picked them up a couple of days ago... no idea what kind of day gecko they are and even though I was told one is male and one is female, I'm really doubtful. They dont seem to be eating much, if anything at all... although the person I picked them up from also didn't have a heat lamp or UV light, etc. Ive gone and picked up some repashy, meal worms some vitamin stuff, hygrometer, digital thermometer etc... not sure if I'm missing anything yet. Ive noticed some head bobbing already from the 'male' but like I said, I have my reservations that my 'Fred' is in fact a 'Betty'. Can someone please help me?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Can you post photos of your new geckos?

Leanne

adyvehy7.jpg
this one I wad told was the female... ive named her Wilma.

Geckomaster743

Cool looking day geckos! I own Leopard Geckos, So sorry if I am not able to provide any help when it comes too taking care of them. So far its good to hear that you picked up some extra equipment, I'll see what I can look up about Day Gecko diet.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
These are Giant Day Geckos. As you noted, they need UV light, also a basking light that will get up near 100. Use halogen puck lights for that. They may eat Repashy CGD, but they may be happier with DGD (Day Gecko Diet) which is sweeter. Mealworms can be hard to feed since they can escape and end up at the bottom of the cage. Crickets may work better. You will need a very large eclosure for them; keeping them in something the size of a 20 gallon (not that you've said that's what you're doing) will not be sufficient. Consider getting "Day Geckos in Captivity" by Greg and Leann Christenson (www.daygecko.com) to find out about day geckos in general with some info specific to what you've got.

Aliza

Leanne

Is the basking light the same as a heat lamp? The heat lamp i picked up is maintaining a temp of 84-86 but not sure if that's the right temp. I will definitely look at picking up that book.

Visit our friends