Normal/Giant/Super Giant?

GexPex

What makes a Giant a Giant? and same goes for Super Giant? If it's past a certain weight, is it then called a Giant/SG? I've seen some adult "Giants" advertised that are the same weights as my "Normals" (mid-60s in grams). Just curious. Couldn't find much about how they're determined other than genetics.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Giants are a genetic mutation in which the weight AND length are larger than a normal (WC) gecko. We can't compare line bred traits that have been selectively bred to Giants because most of these traits have been bred to have increased size. I have plenty of 115g+ geckos without Giant in them. As far as the specifics for what classifies something as being a Giant or SG, this is where debate always takes place. Here are some FAQ from Ron (http://www.leopardgecko.com/giant-faq). All I will say is only buy a Giant from a well known breeder who can provide images of parents and lineage. A big gecko doesn't always mean its a genetic Giant.

kkigs

I spent a considerable amount of time deliberating on the name of my business... and in the end I went with it, because it definitely describes my focus and mission. All of my projects have true genetic giants in them, almost all of which originated with either Tremper, Steve Sykes or Sean Niland(VMSherp), the three guys I know that have done the most work with these genetics. I think Travis said it better than I could. Weights are a good way to gauge certain things, but I just can't get behind using them to determine genetics. ALL of my super giants are currently under those magical weights, so I guess I don't have any. Most of my hatchlings are beautiful and healthy, but nowhere near the weights I've seen posted on a couple of popular websites. I think it's all about good husbandry without overfeeding, and the animals will grow to what they'll grow to. In the end, when you see a super giant you'll understand by looking at them. They are impressive.

GexPex

Oook. So only through genetics are they a giant/super giant. And the giant that weighs the same as my normal male? It was hatched in 2010, so I'm pretty sure it's of adult size by now.
Fiance's wanting to get a group of giants or super giants going, so I thought I'd get more info about what makes them labeled as so.
Thank you everyone.

kkigs

Yes, giant/super giant should describe that particular co-dominant trait, not be used as a generic descriptor. Otherwise, an exceptionally large/heavy gecko should be called exactly that. It's unfortunately subjective, and can be confusing. I have a male that was sold to me as a super giant, and is now 13 months old and 65 grams. I'm not entirely convinced that he's a giant, but he's definitely bigger than the only non-giant male I have which is the same age.

pastelball

Also on Giants and Super Giants most will be look longer than a non giant or super giant. Just make sure that the breeder you are buying off of can provide proof what they are selling.

Visit our friends