Not perfect BUT

doublet74

I gotta tell you. I'm REALLY GETTING SICK of people with 2 months on the forum that have 250 posts and continuously give out bad info. I know I haven't been here that long. BUT I make sure that the posts I make are accurate. 99% of the time I respond to a thread its because I myself have run into the same problem and I just post what has helped me. This post is directed at one particular person ( no names ). On at least 3 occasions I myself have found this person posting ridiculous responses to people with problems.
In closing I just want to say " Shut the F up and don't post just to get your count up " Because someone might actually listen to your ridiculous crap and really hurt their pet or cost them a substantial amount of money. Maybe then this point will get through your head. Hopefully it doesn't take that.
Sorry for the RANT.

Last edited:

Dimidiata

Alright, let me help you string this out a bit and broaden the subject if you don't mind (if you do, PM me and ill delete it). There are at least several members that do not know what they are talking about half the time or HAVE to argue with the older members on this forum. The tension on here is horrific at times. We have people not wanting to post because their afraid of the fighting that occurs between members. I know I'm knew and i know I'm young. I have managed a forum before and i am apart of at least 4 others. I have seen the dynamics of them and ill tell ya this ain't working. We will have a member give bad advice and then be reprimanded by another member instead of just being reported to the administration. However i think its good that we can settle things between ourselves, i do believe we should notify our higher ups when something gets particularly nasty or results in name calling. There are a select few members on here i would gladly listen to. Then theres a lovely collection i think need to be put in their place.(yes, i do realize I'm out of mine). I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. When some posts a pic of their new Leo or a nice pic spam its nice and warm. When they ask for advice its always just bickering nonstop. Insults are thrown at the OP for not caring properly. Look, people come here to learn NOT to be insulated. Call them lazy or say they don't do their research but then ask yourself "why did they come here?". People come here to learn how to properly care for their animals and if we just insult them for doing it wrong right of the bat they wont take our advice. There are misconceptions in this world that people tend to fallow. Our job is to help them get on the right track when they arrive. Not yell in their face and argue amongst ourselves. Theres my rant, flame away.

Last edited:

doublet74

I agree that name calling and abuse isn't necessary. I feel that correcting the misinformation without putting the poster on the spot is good enough. But some people don't get the hint. And continue to give out bad information. All I'm saying is that if someone hasn't had personal experience with what they are posting on they should SHUTUP.

Last edited:

nater

Alrighty, let me help you string this out a bit and broaden the subject if you dont mind (if you do, PM me and ill delete it). There are atleast several members that do not know what they are talking about half the time or HAVE to argue with the older members on this forum. The tention on here is horrific at times. We have people not wanting to post because their afraid of the fighting that occurs between members. I know im knew and i know im young. I have managed a forum before and i am apart of atleast 4 others. I have seen the dynamics of them and ill tell ya this aint working. We will have a member give bad advice and then be repromanded by another member instead of just being reported to the administration. However i think its good that we can settle things between ourselves, i do belive we should notify our higher ups when something gets particularly nasty or resualts in name calling. There are a select few members on here i would gladly listen to. Then theres a lovley collection i think need to be put in their place.(yes, i do relize im out of mine). Im sorry but this is rediculos. When some posts a pic of their new leo or a nice picspam its nice and warm. When they ask for advice its always just bickering nonstop. Insualts are thrown at the OP for not caring properly. Look, people come here to learn NOT to be insualted. Call them lazy or say they dont do their research but then ask yourself "why did they come here?". People come here to learn how to properly care for their animals and if we just insualt them for doing it wrong right of the bat they wont take our advice. There are misconceptions in this world that people tend to fallow. Our job is to help them get on the right track when they arrive. Not yell in their face and argue amongst ourselves. Theres my rant, flame away.
Your spelling is atrocious and you should feel bad.

I really hope you know I'm just joking. I agree with your post.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Some people actually become more vile and nasty to others via PM, because they feel there is no one watching.

I think part of the problem is, right now there's about 1/3 the number of moderators there were historically on this site. But there were also instances of intra-moderator politics and infighting. There are politics everywhere, who's got whose back, and who is in this clique or that.

And that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I love my geckos. But I'll put up with it because of my love for them, and because - by and large - this is a good community. There are some truly amazing, compassionate people here for the joy of geckos (and other critters).
There are unfortunately also the ignorant and the trolls.

I try to be tactful to everyone. I fail sometimes.
I generally fail more when folks are being stubbornly unwilling to learn.
I do agree that jumping all over the new kids HAS TO STOP.
It might make you feel better, for a moment, but you could be alienating your next friend or customer. They bothered to google and come up with this forum. There is a difference between someone who posts repetitively bad queries and don't seem to be putting effort into learning; and those who take note and take advice.

Sometimes a new person comes here in a panic about a situation that is scary for them, and I think sometimes we are all (myself included), too quick to criticize rather than advise.

That's my zwei pfennig.

Last edited:

Mrgecko

Very well said every one. Yes I am new here but I will admit I don't ask certain questions. After reading some of the criticism some others got. I don't want to start a pissing contest. I am simply stating how I feel.

We are all here to share our passion for leopard geckos. As well as to learn and try and help each other
out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinjaDuo

Alrighty, let me help you string this out a bit and broaden the subject if you dont mind (if you do, PM me and ill delete it). There are atleast several members that do not know what they are talking about half the time or HAVE to argue with the older members on this forum. The tention on here is horrific at times. We have people not wanting to post because their afraid of the fighting that occurs between members. I know im knew and i know im young. I have managed a forum before and i am apart of atleast 4 others. I have seen the dynamics of them and ill tell ya this aint working. We will have a member give bad advice and then be repromanded by another member instead of just being reported to the administration. However i think its good that we can settle things between ourselves, i do belive we should notify our higher ups when something gets particularly nasty or resualts in name calling. There are a select few members on here i would gladly listen to. Then theres a lovley collection i think need to be put in their place.(yes, i do relize im out of mine). Im sorry but this is rediculos. When some posts a pic of their new leo or a nice picspam its nice and warm. When they ask for advice its always just bickering nonstop. Insualts are thrown at the OP for not caring properly. Look, people come here to learn NOT to be insualted. Call them lazy or say they dont do their research but then ask yourself "why did they come here?". People come here to learn how to properly care for their animals and if we just insualt them for doing it wrong right of the bat they wont take our advice. There are misconceptions in this world that people tend to fallow. Our job is to help them get on the right track when they arrive. Not yell in their face and argue amongst ourselves. Theres my rant, flame away.

I somewhat agree with you. I've practically stopped posting because of the drama that occurs. Whether its terrible advice or horrid spelling(which I never understood since spell check is available) I get shunned for telling stupid people/kids they're stupid.... I understand that it's not my place, but after awhile I get fed up with a lot of the "new" members that have 400+ post in less than 3 months.

Dimidiata

Wait .... there spell check on here? Im sorry. My spelling is horrible but i refuse to feel bad. Great example of the jackwagon party were currently talking about. I have bad spelling, not sure why and not sure how to fix it. I study, im in a college english course right now and still my spelling sucks. Also, Pm can get UGLY. I also dont look at post numbers, look at mine. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions and congratualting people on their new pets or breeding(a lot of wich i do) If you know what your talking about, then talk. Its the people that think they must have the last word and the best answer to every thing. Im here to learn.

Last edited:

NinjaDuo

Wait .... there spell check on here? Im sorry. My spelling is horrible but i refuse to feel bad. Great example of the jackwagon party were currently talking about. I have bad spelling, not sure why and not sure how to fix it. I study, im in a college english course right now and still my spelling sucks. Also, Pm can get UGLY. I also dont look at post numbers, look at mine. Theres nothing wrong with asking questions and congratualting people on their new pets or breeding(a lot of wich i do) If you know what your talking about, then talk. Its the people that think they must have the last word and the best answer to every thing. Im here to learn.

Minor stuff doesn't bother me, but whn plpe tlk lik tis. It pisses me off. Ha

Dimidiata

Your spelling is atrocious and you should feel bad.

I really hope you know I'm just joking. I agree with your post.

...hahaha.ha. Lol. Yeah yeah, thanks for posting a good example though(thats really how they act in these forums) I just figured out the spell checker XD!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
There will always be people who are abrasive and negative in ANY social situation. It's even worse on an online community where we only get to read what's typed, and not hear and see the person speaking. Trust me, after 16 years I have reached my threshold of redundant questions, argumentative dialog, and lack of common sense among forum members! I was administrator for this very website for many years and became frustrated by the behavior of many of the forum members and resigned.

The best way to nip this behavior in the bud is, first of all, try not to get angry, defensive, or punitive until you have all the necessary information. Second, if someone is posting incorrect information, gently tell them so along with the right information and it's source. If it's simply a matter of differences in the way we do things, it's not that big a deal as long as all the basic environmental and husbandry is sound. If someone is just being a know-it-all bully, or trolling, that's what the 'report post' button is for. No sense in arguing with them and contributing to the drama.

grboxa

Post count should not be relevant...at all. Dont see why thats a problem for people, this is a forum. Although I do agree that there is horrible information going around that should be corrected. Marcia is right, that is why there is a report button. Im only a novice keeper, but I have been participating on this forum quite a bit and been only giving insight and advice/opinions on matters I am familiar with, but I would expect if someone is reading my comment and finds something wrong with it, that they would correct me or report me. Were all here for the same reason the well being of your leopard geckos....and I also agree that if you have a problem with a particular person on this forum..creating this thread is useless. PM the person to resolve it.

Last edited:

gecko4245

Post count should not be relevant...at all. Dont see why thats a problem for people, this is a forum. Although I do agree that there is horrible information going around that should be corrected. Marcia is right, that is why there is a report button. Im only a novice keeper, but I have been participating on this forum quite a bit and been only giving insight and advice/opinions on matters I am familiar with, but I would expect if someone is reading my comment and finds something wrong with it, that they would correct me or report me. Were all here for the same reason the well being of your leopard geckos....and I also agree that if you have a problem with a particular person on this forum..creating this thread is useless. PM the person to resolve it.

Who cares about post counts? This is not a competition. We are all here for the geckos I hope.
I'm sorry but let's be honest and admit we have all lost out patience at least once and answered a question with a bit of attitude.
Why talk about someone doing it when you have done it yourself.
My problem with very few questions is that some people are just lazy. if you care about your geckos you pay attention and read. This is why I felt a little bit bothered. This is what a person quoted.:

(then again I'm on my phone and easily can overlook stuff)

and another person stated, "I am too lazy to read all that", lol

I don't think it's anything to laugh about.

Dimidiata

^ thats just blantant lazyness. I would adress that sternly. I will be the first to admit that i loose my cool from time to time, however im also good at maintaining it, just think before you post. If someone contradicts what you say with information that suggest you were wrong, RESEARCH it first before going nazi on them. We ALL make mistakes from time to time and time again. We are lucky to have this forum, we need to do what we can to help it thrive.

Russ S

Re-Member
Some people actually become more vile and nasty to others via PM, because they feel there is no one watching.

The PM area of the forum has a report post button just like the rest of the forum.

Also, feel free to point out any TOS violations you might see by reporting the post. It is near impossible to read every post on here, and we do sometimes miss things.

Thanks.

Dimidiata

The PM area of the forum has a report post button just like the rest of the forum.

Also, feel free to point out any TOS violations you might see by reporting the post. It is near impossible to read every post on here, and we do sometimes miss things.

Thanks.

Completley, you guys have a HUGE forum to monitor, thats for sure.

Dimidiata

lol, i actually thought about blaming the mods at first then i realized how god darn big the forum was. I think one thing that should be set straight is this, If you can solve it peacefully without bringing a mod into it then do so BUT if you are about to say something on the offense, dont, shut up and report what you believe to be an attack on your self. Ive modded a Betta forum before- NOT easy. You get new people in who dont read the rules and dont know forum etiquette. They think they can swear and disrespect other members. In all honesty i got sick of explaining the social ladder to them so it was made a Mandatory read upon joining before you could post. Unfortunately that forum fell do to lack of funds.(we didn't have the ability to compete with other fish forums either). I honestly love this forum, i owe them my respect for helping me with my Leo and snakes, thus i will help and do my part to keep it on track. I have one question though, are we as members allowed to defuse a argument or would the mods rather it just be reported?

Last edited:

Visit our friends