Oh Gosh...

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
Lol...well, I need some help. :D Like always... ;) This sounds so stupid but, are all rough and smooth knob-tails nochturnal? Or do they require lights? If so, what type? I sound so...newbie. lol! Thanks!

Mallorie

dprince

Mod Squad Member
My knobtails just have heat tape, no lights. ;) I keep them on sand, and their temps are kept a big cooler than the leopards.

dprince

Mod Squad Member
My u. milii and oedura castelnaui are on sand and peat moss, too. :D Just the nephrurus are on plain sand. HTH!! :D

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
The U. milii and the N. levis are from different habitats in the wild. The U. milii are found in more forested areas, while the N. levis are found in sandy borrows. The knobtails are avid diggers, and will dig elaborate burrows in the hard-pack sand to keep cool and retain moisture. The U. milii are found in more vegetative areas that are cooler and have a little more moisture.

I keep my U. milii on a substrate of 50% peat moss and 50% fine sand, with a maximum temperature of 86 degrees. The N. levis are kept on ultra-fine sand, with the cool side moist enough so they can burrow, and the warm side at around 88-90 degrees.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
Thanks Marcia! I saw in an article that Warren sent me, that I can make the sand 2 cm thick in the entire tank but then have a moist hide with moist sand in it for them to burrow in? Then I saw another set up where one side of the tank had sand that was piled higher than the other side. The heat tape was on the actual side of the tank where the sand was piled higher. That was also the moist side where they could burrow...is that right? Or should they have a cool moiste side, and a dry warm side?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I know some people keep the warm side moist with deeper sand, but my rationale is that in the wild when they dig burrows to hide in during the day, it's to escape the heat. So, I have the cool side just moist enough for the sand to pack and deep enough for them to create burrows. I keep their hide on the warm, shallow end of their enclosure, and mist it slightly so condensation will form droplets so they can drink.

Poohmac

Golden Gate Geckos said:
I know some people keep the warm side moist with deeper sand, but my rationale is that in the wild when they dig burrows to hide in during the day, it's to escape the heat. So, I have the cool side just moist enough for the sand to pack and deep enough for them to create burrows. I keep their hide on the warm, shallow end of their enclosure, and mist it slightly so condensation will form droplets so they can drink.

Hello,

Could you post a pic of that? I would love to see it to get a visula image

Mike

Visit our friends