Old gecko losing weight

animateash

Smrgol turned 15yrs old this month. I've had her since she was a week old. She's always been a good eater and very friendly. Lately she's really dropped some weight and it seems to have come off fast. She's visibly gaunt and doesn't have as much heft when i hold her. Her appetite is still great, so I'm wondering if this is simply age related. Is it typical for cresties to become gaunt as they get up there in age? I raise my own mealworms so she gets very enriched insects (fed oats, veggie and fruit scraps, fish meal for protein) from a single source. I'm sure someone will bring up parasites as a possibility, but since I've been growing my own insects for months and all my other reptiles get the same thing, is that as feasible? She also gets Crasted Gecko Diet but lately she's been on a real worm kick and isn't favoring it.

I'd welcome some thoughts. She is pretty old and I understand she may be short on time, but if this doesn't seem normal with simple aging I'd love to do what i can to fatten her back up. I have some dewormer on hand if that seems worth a small dose.

Attachments

• smrgolelderly.JPG
    smrgolelderly.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It could be age related. My oldest gecko, a leopard gecko named Eragon is nearly 17 and has been gradually losing some weight (he weighed over 110 grams in his prime and he's not a giant. On the other hand, my Crested gecko Spenser who's 14 1/2 is about the same as always. I guess all of us have different biological clocks.

Aliza

Visit our friends