Parents Dont Get It :(

herpman97

Hello, I'm a Teen and EXTREMELY into reptiles. I will be going to a big expo in July and had big plans on what I wanted. Unfortunately, I am the only herper in my family (My cousin follows after me, but he's not really into it). The main problem is my mom. She has never favored reptiles, ESPECIALLY snakes. I currently have 4 Leos and 1 kingsnake (She actually let me get a snake!) I currently went to a specialized mouse and BP breeders and my mom and I talked to him for a while. He told her how breeding snakes was good hobby and how rewarding it was and how I could make a little money while doing it (NO, i'm not in it fot the money). She took it into consideration, but so far the answer was still no. It was until I was going home from sports some 3 hours later it came up again. I dont remember, but someone brought up something about money in the bank. I have about $300 in it now, but was saving more. My mom said that I wouldn't use all that money for reptiles. (Which I probably shouldn't). Even though I have a life other than reptiles, I was flabbergasted!! That's all I wanted to spend it on!! By the way I wanted some BP morphs, which are expensive. She said, " No Demetri! [My name] She said some other stuff, but a few things that really got me was "You aren't getting any more reptiles in A WHILE" and "I can take you to that expo, but we aren't getting any reptiles!" I know I'm wrong when I say this, but COME ON!!!! I know people my age that have twice as many reptiles as I do now!! And whats the point of going to an expo if you cant get anything!! I mean, my favorite part of an expo isn't actually getting the reptile, but looking that all the cool animals I wish I could call my own, but to me, going to an expo and coming out empty is just FLAT. Even though I may not know what owning more than one snake is like, and that I have to get a tiny bit more "realistic", I think I'm more of a "do-er" than a dreamer, at least I want to be! I bet me or a breeder will talk her into letting me get another snake. She said she would never let a snake (or other animal than a leo) in the house, but that was before my first expo. Plus my dad doesn't really care, he usually agrees with her. Please take time to read or comment, it took me a half hour to type this!
P.S. - I will love my parents whether or not I get a reptile, so dont say anything relating ungreatfulness

StopperExotics

Well, I've got one bit of advice. Take your time, enjoy your pets, and just be patient. Parents don't always understand us, and neither do they always agree with our motives. At this point, and I'm not sure how old you are, it's safe to say that your parents just want to be careful because of the economic environment. It's easy to accumulate reptiles, and once you have a BUNCH it's not necessarily cheap to feed them all. I agree that Expos are great fun, and that it is less fun if you don't come home with any new reptiles; but try to be as positive and happy while being there with your parents. This is going to let them know that you're not going to get upset, and that you really want them to enjoy your hobby as much as you do.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun at the expo!

Riyo

Pet Human
At least your parent's allow you to have reptiles in the house ;) I had to wait until I moved out on my own to start my collection and get into the hobby.

And a tip from me to you - this is something I really wish I had done more of when I was younger - save as much money as you can before you get into college. Especially if you want to move out and live on your own. Reptiles are indeed a very addictive hobby (trust me, I'm fully aware of this as a poor college student ;) ) but sometimes you just have to resist the urge for more and allocate your money elsewhere. Enjoy what you have!

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I am with stopper and Riyo. Take your time and enjoy your pets, They get extremely addictive, and just as stopper pointed out It takes a steady income keeping them all fed, Atm I think its costing me around about £100 ($200) a month give or take, on their upkeep just for food. (not that i regret it ;) ), but you are allowed to go to the expo which is great, again im not sure how old you are, but I was limited to 3 reptiles and look at the zoo I have now! haha. Good luck with finding what you want and convincing your mom to let you have it.

goReptiles

Agreed with Natashya and Kasey/ Enjoy what you have. Don't pout that you can't have more. Many parents won't let their children have even one gecko and you have 4 geckos and a snake.

Save your money. Wait until you move out and buy what you can afford. You can't go and spend all of your money now, and expect much when you're older. Sometimes you have to learn limits.

You are lucky to have any pets. They're a luxury. In all reality, your mom could take them away if she wanted. It is her house and all.

Visit our friends