Perlite going "Bad"...??

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Anyone ever heard of Perlite going "bad"??? I have a buddy that I went to borrow some Perlite from while i am waiting to buy my own, and he said he had to toss it cuz it went bad. And i asked what he meant, and he said that he went to get his big bag of it, that he had opened from like 6 months ago, and he said the whole thing smelled like ammonia from sitting there and being opened, so he tossed it. Has anyone ever heard of this, or had this happen to them? He said when i buy mine to only buy a small amount at a time, cuz if you don't use it all, it will go "bad". Is this true or is he just crazy? lol

ILoveGeckos14

It can start growing mold I believe but I haven't heard of an ammonia smell. Then again I haven't stuck my head in a bag of "bad" perlite either! Lol

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
maybe a cat pee'd in it?

thats what I was thinking.

nope never had mine go bad bought a bag a couple years ago and keep it in a storage container as long as its kept dry you should not have any problems.

I have seen a giant bag of plane perlite at my local feed store for like 15 bucks. but its real big it would almost be a life time supply for me. check a feed store or your local nursery.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I agree with the cat theory. Perlite is like a cat magnet for some reason. My cats are obcessed with it, I have to watch the bag like a hawk whenever it's open.

jermh1

I usually buy at least 2 6cubic foot bags from a nursery supply house for my plants every spring. My eggs are in perlite that was soaked in the squished bag under some leaves in the yard. It didnt have any smell to it, I baked it in the oven at 300 for a few hours to dry it out and sterilize it. Now the eggs in it are fine, and I havent lost one yet, out of this group of 16. So I would have to say it cant go bad, maybe get crushed, or contaminated though.

Renster

I know this threads a few weeks old but I had a similar issue and its easily rectified.

The reason it smells like ammonia is moisture gets into it and sits until it goes stale it usually takes about 3 months so at 6 months it should have been really bad.

Just take it out the bag put it in a bucket of boiling water leave until the water is cooled just enough so that you can put your hand in it, repeat this 2 or 3 times with new boiling water Sieving Excess water off it inbetween washes.

Once its been washed stick it in a baking tray and bake it for 20 - 30 minutes at 150C Mixing it around every 10 minutes and if its still not totally dry put it back in for another 30 minute bake.

Last edited:

Visit our friends