Pinworm in Pictus gecko

PoffyPoffa

I searched the forums but found some conflicting advice and ended up quite confused. I purchased a Pictus gecko about 4 weeks ago and have had it in a small quarrantine enclosure. It seems in flawless health. Its poop and urates are perfect, it's eating great, looks nice and plump. As a final step before putting it in its final enclosure (a bioactive), I had a poop sample tested by mail at Affordable Pet Labs, and it came back with a high pinworm load. I know that many reptiles have pinworm, but I see conflicting advice on treating a high load when it is asymptomatic. I want to be super careful because it's going into a bioactive, and it will be impossible to sterilize later on. Any thoughts or advice? There's a piece of me that's hesitant to treat an asymptomatic animal.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As you may know, it's likely that most or all reptiles harbor some parasites and are often fine until stress or another factor tips the balance and the parasite load gets out of control. Did you get a number (e.g., this number is normal and this is your gecko's number)? That would at least tell you if it's unusually high or just a bit past the cut-off. I would imagine it's easy enough to treat without harming the gecko as long as you have a reliable source to tell you the proper medication and dosage.

Aliza

PoffyPoffa

As you may know, it's likely that most or all reptiles harbor some parasites and are often fine until stress or another factor tips the balance and the parasite load gets out of control. Did you get a number (e.g., this number is normal and this is your gecko's number)? That would at least tell you if it's unusually high or just a bit past the cut-off. I would imagine it's easy enough to treat without harming the gecko as long as you have a reliable source to tell you the proper medication and dosage.

Aliza
The number was a 4+, or 50 or more eggs seen. It’s the highest range. I made an appointment with an exotic vet for Monday.

Visit our friends