Plant trouble

AdamDimond

So my father got me two plants for my terrarium planting. One is a good sized pothos vine, which should work very well. The other is an alocasia of indeterminate species. I have learned that the stem and roots-and possibly the leaves- have raphides, which are a red flag when dealing with terrarium plants. Unfortunately, I found conflicting information on whether this is harmful for day geckos. On the one hand, they won't eat the plants. On the other, they probably will lick water off the leaves. Has anyone had experience with this type of plant? I won't put it in there if its not safe for the lizards.

Geckomaster743

Just to be safe I wouldn't, There are many options for terrarium plants and even fake ones might just be a safer bet. Better safe than sorry.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I don't think it would be harmful. The only way they would ingest it is if they raphides are able to cross from inside the leaves (if they are even there) into water droplets on the leaves. Plants have very thick cell walls, so it would be difficult for a crystal to cross over. But if you are concerned, it is better safe than sorry.

Josh's Frogs sells alocasia on their website, so hopefully they will chime in with their experience. If it's safe for frogs, which can absorb things through their skin, it's probably safe for geckos.

Visit our friends