Please help me choose the right Flexwatt heat tape?

tb144050

Can anyone tell me from experience (or link to a data page) what the specs are on the different available heat tapes?

I will find an appropriate thermostat after I build my rack/minihabitat, but first I want to make sure that the heattape I buy is VERY capable of heating the thick plastic tubs.

Please give me feedback/advice about the different watt-ratings and width-ratings? As an amateur, I would prefer the 4" because it would provide a wider "hotside" than the 3" tapes. However, the 4" tape is only 5watts??.....and the 3" is available in 6watts & 10watts..

So will the 4" give me temps over 90F (in a 70-degree room) or is it under-powered? Any other suggestions? Is eBay the best price/brand?

Thanks!! :)

ps....this rack/minihabitat will be a home for my future breeders. ....one step closer...

Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

The racks I purchased came with 3" tape. I think 4" may be a bit over kill unless you're using a rack for 30qt+ tubs the long way. You want the tape to be thin enough to still provide a proper heat gradient. I don't know what different kinds of flex watt exist so I'm no help in comparing and contrasting them. I would probably go with the lower wattage unless you're using an unenclosed rack (like a set of wire shelves - not recommended...) in a cold room. I'm planning to re-wire one of my existing racks and was planning to get the THG tape from pangea reptile but may explore other options before deciding.

tb144050

Thanks for the info!! Unfortunate, I just made arrangements to pick up some stuff Friday for $125 total, and it includes wire-shelves:

-wire shelves
-10ft unused 3" 4watt tape
-3ft used wired-up 3" 4watt
-about $40/worth of random sized tubs
-Hobovator (I know to use a better thermostat) :)
-8oz new Vermiscule (or however u spell it)

Overall, not a bad deal..me and the guy will drive about an hour to meet in the middle. Fortunately, the rack will NOT ever be in a room under 70-F.

Racksystem-Kevin.jpg

Robyn@SYR

I am not a fan of the 4" 10 watt heat tape. Heat tape already gets plenty hot at 6 watts for the 4" width, you shouldn't need the additional power.

THG heat tape is available in 4 sizes and wattages-

3″- 4 watts/ft
4″- 6 watts/ft
6″- 12 watts/ft
12″- 23 watts/ft

Please be careful with your new setup, and always use a high quality thermostat with secure probe placement in controlling your heat output! Best of luck!

tb144050

Thank you :) I will be using a thermostat (cheap for now) and probably a rheostat as well...as a failsafe. Im gonna guess this 3" 4watt tape is THG based on the rating. :)

DrCarrotTail

I'm pretty sure THG is a brand of heat tape. The only issue with metal shelves is that they don't hold heat well. Not a big deal if you can keep the temp in your reptile room around 75-80 but if you can't you'll spend the money you saved on the rack in your electric bill as the tape will be on for more hours a day at a higher power to keep the tanks at 90 degrees than it would if the rack was insulated. I know the pressed pvc in my rack holds and radiates the heat nicely and my thermostats seem to be running at about 20% most of the time. Good luck with it all and let us know how it does for you!

Also, I used a Little Giant (hovabator-like incubator0 last year with the built in thermostat for my eggs being incubated for male and had no problems. I bet a higher quality one would be better and safer but the built in one works! I think the problems really arise if the temp in the room the incubator is in fluctuates a great deal. If its a pretty constant temp within a few degrees it should be okay.

tb144050

Thanks for the insulation advice. I will look into making it more efficient. :) I pick it up friday....same day my first ordered leos come in. :)

Visit our friends