Please help me to answer these questions ..

thomasdanes

Hi , i have some questions for you guys..
I like to know what plants that's ok to put in the gecko's cage?
is fake cactus ok?
then I live in jakarta, indonesia which is a tropical city, and i think the temperature is lil bit hot here (about 27-35 degrees celsius), do i need some lamp for my terra? by the way, thanks before.. :):):)

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Fake cactus would be fine, but I would try to find smooth ones, or ones without the sharp spines. I use the pothos plant. Very hardy. Its nontoxic.

My gecko's tank has a cool side, between 70-80F, and a hot side, between 95 & 100F. I use a under tank heater & heat lamps.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I've never had problems just using a heat lamp. Some people say their gecko's are affected by it, but mine don't seem to mind it. I used the infrared heat bulb. A 50W

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
35*C is equal to approx 95*F so I think your temps are just fine, and I agree with hiddenlizards that if you want to use fake cactus to go with ones that don't have spines in order to avoid your leo from possibly accidentally hurting himself on the spines. Just make sure you wash any artificial plants you use in his tank realy well to remove any manufacturing residue.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
35*C is equal to approx 95*F so I think your temps are just fine, and I agree with hiddenlizards that if you want to use fake cactus to go with ones that don't have spines in order to avoid your leo from possibly accidentally hurting himself on the spines. Just make sure you wash any artificial plants you use in his tank realy well to remove any manufacturing residue.

Haha...yeah I had to look up a converter on Google to see what the C temps were, I suck with conversions

thomasdanes

oh i see i see
maybe i will buy it one because when rain occur the temperature goes until 27 degrees,
and the distance must be 40 cm huh? am i right? :main_yes::main_yes:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
27*C is about 80* F so that would be a little low to go with out an under tank heater or other heat source. There are several places to get on on line if you have trouble finding them locally. They're pretty inexpensive and since leos depend on belly heat for proper digestion Imo might be a little better option versus heating lamps but again that debate is still raging on.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Honestly you shouldn't use sand as a substrait as many leos eat it and can become impacted and die. Their natural habitat is rocky crevaces in packed earth type deserts not loose sand deserts. You can use vinyl tiles, natural stone tiles, paper towels, and other non-ingestable substrait. Please anything but sand. Maybe check out the thread titled show off your tanks/enclosures for some ideas on how to do the substrait.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Leos don't really bask perse so I don't think the distance for a heat lamp to the floor of the cage is a major problem but hopefully some one more versed than myself can direct you on that one. Usually most that have lamps that I've seen have just put them on the screen tops of the enclosure.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I have on gecko that is strictly sand. He hates every other substrate & goes crazy & stresses out. My others are kept on cocofiber. I have about 3-4inches of substrate for them. Heat lamp sits on screen top.

My oldest male did use to bask when he was younger, but that was probably because that was his only heat source.

Visit our friends