Please help!

electricalfire

I need advice fast. My gecko has laid her second clutch of the year and I don't have the slightest idea what to do! I've had my geckos for about 7 years and they're lay eggs almost every year and I feel like a horrible human being because they always die :( I don't have an incubator nor can I afford one so I'm looking for tips. Currently I've got the eggs on moss in a snap and seal sandwich container with holes in the lid. It's under the heat lamp probably eight or so inches from it. I misted the moss and its nice and moist. It's currently 86.5 f in the container they're in. I don't know what to do but my heart breaks at the thought of loosing two more eggs. Advice please!!

electricalfire

Also I've candled them and I'm 100% they're fertile so it's got to be something I am doing wrong. The last clutch was knocked over by the papa and the eggs dented an died. I just checked up on them and one egg seems to have a couple of brown spots but the other looks big an healthy . I keep trying to upload pictures but they aren't showing up? Ugh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are cheap incubators that can be made from aquariums or styrofoam coolers with cheap aquarium heaters. Do some googling on this site and elsewhere and you'll find it. Also, check out this website which explains how to properly prepare perlite (get it from a garden store and make sure it's pure perlite without any fertilizer additives) for use in an egg container:
Albey's How To Incubate Leopard Gecko Eggs

When the heat source comes from above, it's easy for the eggs to dry out. I'd recommend you set it up (outside the tank with the geckos if possible) with an under tank heater and thermostat to keep it at around 85 or so. Get a digital thermometer with a probe (under $10 at most pet stores) and stick the probe in the deli cup (the cord is pretty thin, so it's likely you can get it in there and still get the lid closed well to monitor the temperatures. If you do it this way, the humidity and temp should stay steady and you have a chance with these eggs.

Many people would say that if you can't afford an incubator, you shouldn't breed. I would say that I know incubators can be expensive. However, if you can't afford the digital thermometer, perlite and under tank heater, you should seriously consider separating your geckos.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

The moisture in the incubation medium needs to be well measured and controlled. The temperature cannot fluctuate too much. Without proper incubation medium and an insulated incubator these things are very hard to control. Even if they live the babies may be severely deformed if you can't control temp fluctuation and humidity. If you can't incubate or keep them properly and it breaks your heart the best thing to do would be to separate the male and female so they don't produce fertile eggs anymore. Babies eat a LOT. Mine eat about 30-50 mealworms a week each. You'll need to prepare for that as well as have a cage for each baby when they hatch. Breeding gets expensive quickly :/

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
I am thinking your problem is the heat lamp. Too much heat bearing down on the eggs. Try directing the heat off to one side. You can incubate down to 80 degrees with no problem. Vermiculite or Perilite would be a better substrate for the eggs. You want it to be slightly moist, but not wet. Too wet, and they mold. A cheap Hovabator would make things a lot easier, but I have read where people have incubated their eggs without one.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Sorry, just realized there were four other replies. But, strange that I can not see them. Hmmmm????

electricalfire

Thanks for the replies people. I've been looking at hovabators as there is a chicken place in edmonton that sells them close by for about 80$. I'm confused about the whole "still air" and fan models. I read somewhere that some people like to use the fan ones but have to rewire them so that the fan turns off when it heats or something? I'd really like to breed them on the future so I wouldn't mind making the investment of an incubator I just am unsure of which one to get.

Visit our friends