PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

bmw798465132

i just got two pinkys and my leos wont eat them and we left the store a voicemail but they wont get it till tomorrow and i wanna take them back so what do i do until ???

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
I'm sorry you can't save them. either leave them in the cage for a while to see if they'll eat them or you can put them in the freezer and try to thaw out and feed later, or flush them if you really want to get rid of them. You bought them with the intention of them being ate so If your geckos don't eat them they'll die anyways.

JordanAng420

You can try to take them back tommorow when the store opens.

Sorry, it's all the advice I can give you...but leos usually don't need pinkys if they're fed a well balanced diet that's full of a variety of insects. You can try waxworms or silkworms as a treat...but crickets, mealworms and superworms are usually sufficient.

JordanAng420

put them in the freezer and try to thaw out and feed later.

Not an approved method of euthanasia.

AVMA Guidelines on
Euthanasia

Cooling—It has been suggested that, when using physical methods of euthanasia in ectothermic species, cooling to 4 C will decrease metabolism and facilitate handling, but there is no evidence that whole body cooling reduces pain or is clinically efficacious.206 Local cooling in frogs does reduce nociception, and this may be partly opioid mediated. 207 Immobilization of reptiles by cooling is considered inappropriate and inhumane even if combined with other physical or chemical methods of euthanasia. Snakes and turtles, immobilized by cooling, have been killed by subsequent freezing.
This method is not recommended.Formation of ice crystals on the skin and in tissues of an animal may cause pain or distress.13 Quick freezing of deeply anesthetized
animals is acceptable

JordanAng420

According to the AVMA guidelines, these would be your best options, IMO:

EUTHANASIA BY A BLOW TO THE HEAD
Euthanasia by a blow to the head must be evaluated in terms of the anatomic features of the species on which it is to be performed. A blow to the head can be a humane method of euthanasia for neonatal animals with thin craniums, such as young pigs, if a single sharp blow delivered to the central skull bones with sufficient force can produce immediate depression of the central nervous system and destruction of brain tissue. When properly performed, loss of consciousness is rapid. The anatomic features of neonatal calves, however, make a blow to the head in this species unacceptable. Personnel performing euthanasia by use of a blow to the head must be properly trained and monitored for proficiency with this method of euthanasia, and they must be aware of its aesthetic implications.

CERVICAL DISLOCATION
Cervical dislocation is a technique that has been used for many years and, when performed by well-trained individuals, appears to be humane. However, there are few scientific studies to confirm this observation.
This technique is used to euthanatize poultry, other small birds, mice, and immature rats and rabbits. For mice and rats, the thumb and index finger are placed on either side of the neck at the base of the skull or, alternatively, a rod is pressed at the base of the skull. With the other hand, the base of the tail or the hind limbs are quickly pulled, causing separation of the cervical
vertebrae from the skull. For immature rabbits, the head is held in one hand and the hind limbs in the other. The animal is stretched and the neck is hyperextended
and dorsally twisted to separate the first cervical vertebra from the skull.72, 111

DECAPITATION
Decapitation can be used to euthanatize rodents and small rabbits in research settings. It provides a means to recover tissues and body fluids that are chemically
uncontaminated. It also provides a means of obtaining anatomically undamaged brain tissue for study.131
Although it has been demonstrated that electrical activity in the brain persists for 13 to 14 seconds following
decapitation,132 more recent studies and reports indicate that this activity does not infer the ability to perceive pain, and in fact conclude that loss of consciousness
develops rapidly.127-129

For the entire the American Veterinary Medical Association's "Approved Methods of Euthanasia Guidelines" you can find that here: http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf

Last edited:

JordanAng420

This is what we call "the dark side" of this hobby.
I'm sorry you had to go through that.
It's not a physically pleasing form of euthanasia. I can assure you though, it was quick and painless, just as the guidelines described.

cindre2000

I would have froze it, or returned it to the store the next day. The pinkys generally will not die overnight.

The most 'humane' way of freezing probably would be to bag up the pinkys in an air tight bag until the CO2 is high enough to act as an anesthetic agent. And then freeze them.

On a side note, I think it is silly to use the word inhumane. I feel there is a difference between inhumane treatment and cruel treatment of animals. Feeding a live mouse to a snake is inhumane.

JordanAng420

I would have froze it, or returned it to the store the next day. The pinkys generally will not die overnight.

The most 'humane' way of freezing probably would be to bag up the pinkys in an air tight bag until the CO2 is high enough to act as an anesthetic agent. And then freeze them.

On a side note, I think it is silly to use the word inhumane. I feel there is a difference between inhumane treatment and cruel treatment of animals. Feeding a live mouse to a snake is inhumane.

Those words are taken out of the guidelines written by the AVMA.

Pinky mice are still animals.

You can disagree all you want, but the fact is that it's excruciatingly painful to put an animal that is alive directly into the freezer.

cindre2000

Guidelines also state that use of an anesthetic followed by freezing is acceptable. CO2 is stated in guidelines to be an adequate anesthetic provided it is not a 'odd' organism. Providing high enough concentration level's of CO2 by keeping the animals in a airtight environment is probably the easiest route available to most people.

I think you confuse one thing though. I am not trying to provide the most 'humane' way for the original poster to eliminate the animal. After all, returning it to the store is the most 'humane' thing to do. I merely suggesting the easiest alternative that does not require too much 'hands on activity'; since in my experience, many people are unwilling to decapitate or provide the blunt force trauma needed to be 'humane'.

Thus the distinction with being inhumane and being cruel.

It is a simple fact that those pinkies were bred to become food for some predator. They had a 1 in 1000 chance (in my experience) to become a pet, at best, and possibly live out a 'long' and 'fruitful' life. A 'humane' death would be nice, but I find a 'not cruel' death to be exceptable.

Last edited:

crestedgeckogirly

Ya know, you could have also fed them until the store opened. Wow. I've raised baby mice on several occassions, and I don't think it would have been that hard to keep them overnight.

*shakes head*

-Andrea

Last edited:

Visit our friends