Poor little Daisy just wants to be friends :(

GeckoNub

Well i decided it was time to see how Peppa would get along with Daisy as shes finished her quarentine period with no signs of illness and has put on some nice weight :)

I put them together in a plastic tank to see how they would react. All went well, lots of curiosity and licking :)

So i put Peppa in Daisy's viv to have a little explore while Daisy got snuggles :D

Put Daisy back in her viv with Peppa and again there was a lot of licking...but i think Daisy got in Peppa's face a bit as Peppa did a really fast tail rattle...and then nipped Daisy on the back of the neck :(

It didnt break the skin, just a little scratch, but it scared Daisy and she ran away and hid in her moist hide :(

Its kinda funny as Daisy is bigger than Peppa and is a big scaredy cat, but i feel sorry for her :( Afterall it was her home first and she is just a little sweetheart who wants a friend.

Since yesterday there have been no more squables. Peppa isnt agressive, she just spends most of her time in the cool hide. And Daisy is a big chicken and stays either in her warms hide or the moist one.

I know from when we first got Peppa she was very jumpy at being in a new home so im hoping its just that and Daisy freaked her out a little.

Ive seen Peppa looking at Daisy quite a bit while shes in the warm hide and she has been wandering round a bit and sat outside the hide on the heatmat.

Other than just letting them get on with it is there anything i should or shouldnt do? Daisy has been getting a lot of attention cos i feel sorry for her and ive been handling Peppa too so she doesnt feel left out.

Yes i know people say they dont have emotions like other animals but i believe they feel ...not really jelousy...but they definitly seem to sulk if u pick up one and ignore the others :laugh4:

JordanAng420

Put Daisy back in her viv with Peppa and again there was a lot of licking...but i think Daisy got in Peppa's face a bit as Peppa did a really fast tail rattle...and then nipped Daisy on the back of the neck :(

It didnt break the skin, just a little scratch, but it scared Daisy and she ran away and hid in her moist hide :(

Well, I have some news for you that I believe is true...i'm pretty sure "Peppa" is a boy. That wasn't a squabble that your geckos had, Peppa was trying to breed with Daisy. The males rattle their tails right before mating and then grab the female by the neck in an attempt to hold her still while breeding. If he continues to try and breed her and she continues to reject him, you may consider separating them until she ovulates if you do want eggs. Excessive attempts to breed can be stressful.

Something else I just thought about, how sure are you that Daisy is female? The only reason I ask is because housing two males together can result in tragety. If you need help sexing them, we can help you with that too...just need some photos of their vents.

Last edited:

GeckoNub

I am 100% sure Daisy is female as shes way too old to turn into a male now ;)

Im also like 80% sure Peppa is female as she is about 5 months old and not showing any signs of bulges or pores.

Bubba my baby male is only about 2 months old and its easy to see hes male so in comparison id be really surprised if Peppa turned out to be male.

Since their little squabble they are doing really well :) They share hides now and dont show agression towards each other :D

It does sound like mating behaviour but i would still be shocked if my little girl was a boy :anxious:

Visit our friends