Possibly egg bound

kayla.h

I have a <2 yr old gecko which is gravid and has been noticeably so for 10 days. I do not know when conception was, as I thought my male was too young to breed (until I found 2 sets of egg - raisins while cleaning the cage). After finding the eggs, I looked at both females' bellies and they both had eggs inside.

The other female, whose eggs were smaller than this one's when I realized they were gravid, laid her eggs last night. I'm concerned that Notspot's become eggbound.

Before I'm lectured about husbandry, I have 2 moist hides ready to be used as a nest box. Both have a UTH and are re moistened daily. Notspot loves the one hide and spends most of her time in there.

I may have a theory but I'm wondering if this is crazy... she stays in the same hide constantly but the other geckos keep going in and laying with her. There are 2 other perfectly good hides but they insist on bothering her. Are they maybe interrupting her laying?

Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
What's in the moist hides? Is it something she can dig in? While I do think there can be a problem with egg binding, I also think it's not that common. Is there any way you can separate her for awhile so she's less stressed? That may help.

Aliza

kayla.h

I have the coconut substrate for them to dig in covered with a little terrarium moss. The other female had no trouble laying hers and this female laid a set without me even knowing it before, so the other two pestering her is the only thing I can understand. I put a piece of cardboard in the way and moved the extra moist hide to the other side for the two bullies. The male is STILL trying to dig under the cardboard. To be fair, that's his favorite female. He's always in a hide with her and follows her like a puppy.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
How many hides do you have total? Can you post some photos of your setup?

kayla.h

Update: she laid fine and has since laid 3 more clutches. Just needed a little privacy. I had 4 other hides in the tank, including another moist, but everyone wanted in the same cave. She gave up after a while and threw them out lol.

LeopardGeckoMom

It's good she laid! A breeder well know said that in the wild leopard geckos do lay their eggs together for some reason, I thought it was so interesting though,(they also said they don't think rolling eggs can hurt the babies, which was very interesting too!) but it explains why they do it! :)

Visit our friends