Possibly sick gecko- not eating

geckoluv2187

Hello everyone. I have a little gecko that we bought about 3 months ago that seems to be failing to thrive. When we first got her she didn't eat for a couple weeks but once she got over the stress she was eating a little bit. Maybe 1-2 worms a week. She was also pooing fairly normally except they have always been small compared to our other 4 geckos. About a month ago we moved her from a 20gal tank to a 32qt tub in our new rack. Since then she has eaten maybe 1 worm if anything. There have been no poos either, although there appears to be a liquid stain the back of the cage (clear not brown). When we bought her she was 43g and now she is 38g. She doesn't look unhealthy, she still has a fat tail and moves around a bit.

Another weird thing about her is, I've never seen a gecko this aggressive before. She has bitten me a few times (just with my hand near her) and will sometimes vocalize if our hands are even in the cage. Sometimes when you walk by the cage, she will lunge at us. I don't know if she's just really stressed out??

She lives by herself in her tub with paper towel substrate and temps at a steady 90 degrees. We have 6 other geckos in similar conditions that are all healthy and normal. What should I do? Should I try changing her food or should I just take her to the vet? Our vet is an hour away so I don't want to stress her out if its not necessary. Please help, we've never had a sick gecko before.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Since your gecko is fairly new, I think she may be very stressed (as you said she is very agressive); and will not hurt if you get a fresh fecal sample for vet check. You should also try different food items, maybe the previous owner fed her crickets and not worms.

Hope you'll get the problems solved soon, I know its very stressful when our little friends don't want to eat.

Visit our friends