Post-care for hemipenes prolapse

CourtneyZach

Okay so I took Zeus into the vet right away in the morning and she did a surgery on him.
She said she put his thing back in the anal slit and did stitches or "suture" that I have to go back in 10 days for her to remove.
After surgery he actually was lively. He had been on anesthetic so he wasn't super lively but he's an extremely healthy gecko and very active.
She said it was clean and it didn't look infected at all. He hasn't been licking his stitches or anything but has just shed.
Okay so here are my questions. How did I take care of my gecko after surgery? Do I feed him? Not feed him?
I'm going to switch his food to crickets because I don't want him having a hard time going to the bathroom on mealies. I usually feed him mealies but I'm switching to crickets now but don't know when to feed him.
Hopefully he can poo fine with the stitches?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
These would be questions that the vet would know definitive answers to since she did the procedure, but I would assume you can feed him as normal and he can poop as normal unless she said otherwise... Keep us updated on his progress. I'm glad to hear he's doing better!

CourtneyZach

I will phone her tomorrow and ask. He seems lively! He ate 4 crickets and wanted more but Im not sure if he's constipated or not (may be the reason for the prolapse) so I just have him 4.
When he was prolapsed yesterday I didn't feed him and he only pooed out the white part, there wasn't any brown stool that is usually attached to that small white urate I think it is.
But yes he seems happy I will keep you all updated!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I would keep him on paper towels if you aren't already. It keeps particulates away from the affected area, and it's easier to see his stool so you know if he's pooping or not. Other than that, just keep an eye on him, sounds like you are doing a good job!

CourtneyZach

I have him on reptile carpet but I want to change to skate. I am going to put paper towel in however today for his recovery. :)
Yesterday he only pooped a urate which concerns me. This was when he has the prolapse before the surgery.
Not sure if t was hard for him to go because his prolapse of if he got his prolapse because it's hard for him to go.
I fed him crickets yesterday, 4 small ones because I think I may have hurt him with all the mealies I fed him. I feel so bad :(
Warm bath today and a massage to try and get his poop going.. Not sure what else to do :(

CourtneyZach

So I didn't get to put paper towel in yet because he has been really stressed and sketched out after his little surgery. :/
We cleaned the carpet before he came home from the surgery and are cleaning his wet hide, water dish, and his favourite hide often to keep bacteria from spreading though while we are unable to hold him.
Hopefully it works out!
He looks way less dehydrated today and spent all day in his wet hide sleeping.
He are two crickets but hasn't went to the bathroom yet.
Hopefully tomorrow something will come

CourtneyZach

HE FINALLY POOED TWO DAYS AGO! I was so happy! Then the following day he went again!
He still has his little weenie stitches in but they're coming out next week. I'm so happy he's doing better. Thank you all for your help and concern :)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Very glad to hear he's better. I assume things are still going smoothly?

CourtneyZach

Oh yes things are going smoothly with his prolapse. He ate the stitches which worried me but he seems to be passing bowel movements and more active then even before. :) He`s doing great thank you all so much for your help

Visit our friends