Praying mantis care?

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
I want to know what to set up for enclouse because I ordered 3 eggs case today so i'm awaiting for it.

I have tanks, plastic empty fish tank. anything but I wanyed to hear it from owners who had own this insect.

How to care for mantis nymphs?

im faster

Should Slow Down
PAIN IN THE ASS...

they are said to be a good feeder
i tried when i had chameleons..
I ordered a pod or what ever they are called..

had hundreds of babies..
separated them into dixie cups with a small twig
feeding them is difficult. they need fruit flys but you have to taker there wings off i think...
now i have found something called bean Beatles to feed the Matias babies...

however i let them go because they were dieing..

feeding a feeder feeders is more work than its worth..

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
I'm not using them as feeders. I'm raising some as pet and also will let them nymphs go in my garden for pest control. C:

ReptileNinja101

If your going to raise them as pets, then pick a few to raise for example five or so. Then release the rest in your yard (near fall you will see a few big ones :D ). Separate the remaining ones you kept in their own containers as they are cannibals with a twig/branch. As for feeding feed them fruit flies till their about an inch or so then they will be able to take crickets etc. Then just increase the size of the cricket as they grow larger. I've learned all of this from experience. I always hatch a few every year because its fun. Oh yeah during fall I would catch a few big ones and let them breed, which is easy (after they mate the female will usually eat the male though). When they lay eggs on the screen and or branch you can take them off and keep them till next year and hatch them. I once had a large female close to 8inches lay up to 10 eggs before lol. One more thing, kritter keepers are great for keeping 2inch plus mantises in (really tiny babies can get through the slits). Hope this helps! If you got any questions just ask.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
THANKS! I already setup the small containors for nymphs. I have people asking me to raise them until they get to week old, then they'll be ready to go be pets. the problem I would need flies and mirco crickets. lol.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
will let them nymphs go in my garden for pest control.

That's... questionable. Not good under any circumstances after they have been raised on commercially bred insect prey, but potentially even worse depending on where you live and which species of mantis you have obtained.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
That's... questionable. Not good under any circumstances after they have been raised on commercially bred insect prey, but potentially even worse depending on where you live and which species of mantis you have obtained.

This kind of mantis, is native to US. Tenodera aridifolia sinensis
just making it clear.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
This kind of mantis, is native to US. Tenodera aridifolia sinensis
just making it clear.

"Just to make it clear" then this is not a native species, but an established invasive over portions of the United States. In those areas where it has been established, the ecological impact of release is less significant, but still ultimately negative. Areas where it is not established, it is a more egregious risk. They should not be released. It is a poor decision to do so.

Visit our friends