Pre-breeding Cool down

G

GeckoAZ

I have read quite a bit that seems to be in conflict about is it necessary to faciliatate good breeding to put your geckos through a winter cool down. Has anyone found an article or site that discusses in detail the breeding process....in sufficient detail for a beginner? Looking for details on the cool down, age to breed, duration of egg laying (what months). Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I do not cool any of my leopard geckos... they just seem to naturally start breeding around January and are usually finished by September.

Breeding age will depend on a few things... age, weight, and condition. Males are usually ready to breed by 9 months of age and around 40 grams, and females around 1 year of age and at least 50 grams... preferably 55-60 grams. Both sexes should be feeding well and have a good fat reserve before breeding.

I have found that as a 'general rule' males of a year and 50 grams, and females that are 1.5 - 2 years of age and around 60 grams do the best for breeding. The have fewer incidences of egg retention and prolapses, lay more fertile eggs, and bounce back much better between clutches.

G

GeckoAZ

Thank you GGG the information you provided is quite helpful.

Visit our friends