Prey to Veggie ratio?

AmberJean86

I have been doing my research, and finally got myself a beardie yesterday at Tinley NARBC. Now that I'm a new mommy, I panicked and had to double check ALL my info. Now I know what I have to feed Bubba, but how much of what? He's over a year old, but thats all they could tell me. Do I just offer as much as he'll take everyday? I plan to tong feed insects, so just let him eat until he turns away and always offer greens? And i heard mixing pellets into their diet is a smart idea as well. What do you guys suggest? :inquisitive:

JordanAng420

Hi Amber,

Here is a GREAT nutritional chart that is alphabetical, color coded, and has quite a bit of content: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

I do not tong feed my beardie, he hunts all his crickets himself. I offer him about 30-40 ever other day or so, and I have fresh collard and mustard greens available all the time, changed daily.

I wouldn't offer pellets. If he's at least a year, take the chart to the grocery store and try a bunch of different stuff!

AmberJean86

Well that's why I got a beardie! Lol my geckos are spoiled, but more display animals then anything. I wanted a "dog" like reptile. I guess ill see what Bubba has to say about it over the next couple days

Desdemona

Yea, don't tong feed it, you don't want to be stuck with that ALL the time. Mine is trying to do that now. She likes to be babied when she's stressed and she is still getting use to having a new enclosure, so a little bit of stress. Besides, the exercise is good for them. They poop better when they move and some beardies don't seem to poop as well as others. When mine goes on a "motion fast" she poops less, even with warm baths. So I try to keep her active.

Edit: They are great pets if you want something to play with though! I got mine around a year old as well. They are neat lizards.

Russellm0704

Definitely do not tong feed, beardie's are known for being very fast and consistent prey eaters. Watching beardie's eat is a lot more exciting than watching leo's eat.

GeckoCrossing

After 18 months the live prey to fresh vegetables should be around 20% (prey) - 80% (veggies). Usually about 50 large crickets, or whatever live feeder you use, spread out over a week or in one day, how ever you wanna do it is a good amount.
And I agree with using http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html to find good staples. My Blaze loved Turnip, mustard and collard greens all mixed up and absolutely LOVED raspberry treats once or twice a week.
Fresh greens should always be available every day, 1 hour after lights come on and take out any that are left 1 hour before lights out.

As for the pellets, I have never used them and will never recommend them. Just look at the ingredients list on them and you'll see why lol.
And for the tongs, I prefer to let them eat without them. Beardies need the exercise of chasing crickets down, they're lazy enough as is :p lol. I did however hand feed my girl raspberries and any other treat fruits. Just be careful of red juices on your fingers. My Blaze thought the juice on my finger was another raspberry and promptly tried to eat it lol.

cherishedtiger

Wow... I had a german giant few years ago and back then all I read was just crickets and superworms. So thats what we fed him. I never heard about veggies and fruits in their diet! Well thats something my new little guy Feugo will be getting. Yes hes a red/orange mix and just beautiful!
Hand feeding isn't something I would ever think of doing with a beardie, they are just too darn fast, and I think the hunt and chase is fun for them. Not to mention exercise! I was running low on crickets last night and threw the last little itty bitty ones I had left in there just to see what he would do. That was fun for him! It was game on!

Visit our friends