Prices?

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
I kinda just got into AFT's and was wondering why most of the morphs are so pricey?

You think AFT's are pricey? Try Ball Pythons! AFT's are CHEAP compared to them.

The main reason is because there aren't many of us producing them, followed by low number of eggs laid a year and also the hatch rate isn't very good either. Basically supply and demand. There just aren't many of them out there compared to the leopard gecko market where there are thousands of breeders compared to a handful of AFT breeders.

sickygnar89

No I meant in comparison to other geckos. Sorry. I definitely follow ball pythons, and man, those prices are just on another level lol. But yeah I've heard they are more difficult to breed than leo's are. Is that why many breeders don't decide to work with these animals?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
No I meant in comparison to other geckos. Sorry. I definitely follow ball pythons, and man, those prices are just on another level lol. But yeah I've heard they are more difficult to breed than leo's are. Is that why many breeders don't decide to work with these animals?

The reason these are pricey is because they are new to the market. When CB Amel (Albino) fat tails first where sold they were selling for $3,000 ea... as 5 gram hatchlings! (How much do you think the first Tremper Albino Leos where ;) )...

Fat Tail morphs are still relatively new. And lets face it, they have incredible color morphs. And as Chris stated supply and demand. The demand for Fat Tails in increasing and there is a relatively low supply, especially of high end stuff.

Once Fat Tails hit main stream, their popularity will EXPLODE. They are just so gentle and beautiful. Truly an awesome species to work with.

What keeps breeders away I think is that they aren't as simple as, feed it worms and clean it once a week and then introduce a Male once a year and you produce up to 20 babies from a female. They take a bit more work, but in the end they are a VERY rewarding species to work with.

gixxer3420

I think the main reason they are pricey is that they arent prolific breeders like leopard geckos. There are a lot more people breeding fat tails than some people realize. With me personally Ive been holding back 90% of the fat tails Ive produced in the last 3 years. I will be selling more fat tails end of the years and next season I will only be holding back 5-10 and the rest will be sold. I think a lot of breeders have been holding back a lot as well.

sickygnar89

Thanks for the clearing up everybody. One day I was looking at all the different morphs and I was like, "woah these look awesome!" Then I looked at the prices and my face turned to this --> -_________- lol Eventually I want to get into these animals, but I just got to save up ;)

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
With any new morph, species, combo, etc. there will be a huge inflation in price. What determines the longevity of these prices is supply and demand. As more people get into fatties and start producing large numbers of these morphs the price will fall FAST. The problem with most of these geckos is they are too prolific for their own good. Fatties are a little more complicated than leos but still pretty bullet proof and easily bred compared to a lot of other species. If you see a morph you like now but cant afford it...give it a year and it will drop an easy 25-50% in price every year (maybe not by all breeders but certainly can be found with that price drop). Quality breeders will retain higher prices, but everyone else will drop to ensure more sales and moving of geckos.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
The morphs are so pricey because this is a new market, with overwhelming potential. The amount of new and exciting morphs popping up yearly, makes this market worth getting into. I compare the Fat-Tail market to the Ball Python market in a lot of ways.

Another reason these morphs are so expensive, is because Fatties are no where near as prolific as Leopards or Cresties. You may only get 6-8 eggs with a Fattail. Fatties are often more difficult to breed.

The Fat-Tail market was also sustained better. Less people who try and dump animals. The prices are easily sustained, because production is much lower than Leopards.

The Fattail market shows so much promise and has more potential that any other reptile market as of current. I highly suggest investing!

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
The morphs are so pricey because this is a new market, with overwhelming potential.

The Fattail market shows so much promise and has more potential that any other reptile market as of current. I highly suggest investing!

Shhhhhhhhh!!! We don't want everyone to know how awesome they are David! Not yet at least...........:main_thumbsup:

EverEvolvingExotics

Shhhhhhhhh!!! We don't want everyone to know how awesome they are David! Not yet at least...........:main_thumbsup:

Haha! Seriously though fat tails have some of the best potential I've seen in the reptile world in a long time. I've only had my small group a short time but I can honestly say they are quickly becoming my favorite species. Well worth the costs. :main_thumbsup:

sickygnar89

You guys are trying to keep secrets? lol Well since I know now, I' won't tell :p I think its pretty cool that all these fat tail morphs are still new. It seems like everybody is really passionate about this species and I want to find out first hand why lol

TruVueGeckos

Go "Fat" or go home....
You guys are trying to keep secrets? lol Well since I know now, I' won't tell :p I think its pretty cool that all these fat tail morphs are still new. It seems like everybody is really passionate about this species and I want to find out first hand why lol

They require a little more care but you will definately enjoy them.

Visit our friends