Prolapse Question

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
We found one of our males had prolapsed last night. We've been giving him sugar soaks, and we know you can use Prep H or KY Gelly.

What would be the better choice...Preparation H or KY Gelly?

Also if you have any other tips you could share, we'd appreciate it.

robin

kayro suryp you can use as well. just keep applying it. take him out if he is in with any females and set him up in an enclosure with paper towels and keep the paper towels a bit damp . you do not want the hemipene drying out. if it dries out it can go necrotic.
how long of sugar water soaks are you giving him and how much sugar to water are you mixing for his soaks?
i would use either kayro suryp or preperation h. i wouldnt use the ky jelli as it doesnt seem to be quite thick enough.

Val

Thanks, Robin. We'll give the karo a try next soak. We mixed the water and sugar until it was a thicker 'syrupy' consistency and let him sit for 10-15 minutes. He was seperated from the female as soon as we found his 'problem' and put him in a clean bin with wet paper towels, and took everything out of it and plan to keep it very sterile. Hopefully, he'll put his stuff away before a vet visit is necessary but we will give them a call in the next day or so if he doesn't.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
You are doing everything right... hopefully he will be OK. I also had my bold stripe male prolapse last night, and I've been going through the same regime.

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to mention McGruff tucked everything back in on his own the other day. He also pooped okay during and after. I guess everything worked out well for him...and I'm positive he's happy to be done with the sugar soaks. He was really good about it, but you could tell he was annoyed. He just needs to shed now, so he doesn't look shiny haha.

Thanks for your help :D

robin

fantastic ryan , now make sure and wait a bit before putting him back in with the females. if you put him back to soon he will be more suseptable to prolaps

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we'll try to breed him again until next season in 5-6 months. I'm hoping he might have gotten the job done before that happened to him. We'll find out in another 1.5 weeks or so if there's eggs. If not, no big.

Thanks again!

Visit our friends