Prolapsed Hempine

Geckomaster743

Now I'm not sure i Labled the Condition correctly but I just saw Redish/White tissue sticking out of My Male geckos Buldges. He had begun licking a White Substance from his Bottem and i saw it when the Buldges moved up... This is probably the reason he got sick before because as soon as he had licked the White Sticky stuff off of his Bottem. Its obviously bothering him and i just heard him Hiss for the first time. He is in a lot of Pain. What do i do?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Is the tissue staying out? If it goes back in he may just be masturbating (sorry couldn't think of a PG way to say that). Kai does it quite often. The white substance would be semen. It's kind of embarrassing when I have people over, but they usually don't catch on. Kai never seems like he's in pain though, just a little over-excited...

If it really is a prolapsed hemipene I can't help much except to say get him to a vet asap. Unfortunately it's Friday night, but you may be able to get him in somewhere tomorrow morning. Until then, there were some good suggestions in this thread:
http://www.geckotalk.com/index.php?threads/urgent-help-needed-prolapsed-hemipene.352/

I hope he's ok! Keep us updated!

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
If it stays out for a prolonged period it is a problem, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

If it doesn't go back in within an hour or two you can try some home remedies before taking him to the vet. Generally the procedure is to get him out of the cage and into a temp cage with paper towels so he doesn't injure it further. Periodically soak him in warm water completely saturated with sugar. You can also try applying preparation H.

I didn't have much luck with these methods myself and had to take my geckos to the vet in both cases, but for less severe cases it may do the trick.

I wouldn't worry about the licking - that is normal and won't make him sick. Just be sure to be proactive if the situation doesn't improve in an hour or so. If the situation is a prolapse and not just run of the mill "excitement" you will want to look into an underlying cause as well. I had two cases in a week apparently caused by competition between my males who could see each-other through the glass. It can also be caused by parasites, an injury, or just straight up frustration (to put it delicately).

Hope he's ok

Geckomaster743

If it stays out for a prolonged period it is a problem, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

If it doesn't go back in within an hour or two you can try some home remedies before taking him to the vet. Generally the procedure is to get him out of the cage and into a temp cage with paper towels so he doesn't injure it further. Periodically soak him in warm water completely saturated with sugar. You can also try applying preparation H.

I didn't have much luck with these methods myself and had to take my geckos to the vet in both cases, but for less severe cases it may do the trick.

I wouldn't worry about the licking - that is normal and won't make him sick. Just be sure to be proactive if the situation doesn't improve in an hour or so. If the situation is a prolapse and not just run of the mill "excitement" you will want to look into an underlying cause as well. I had two cases in a week apparently caused by competition between my males who could see each-other through the glass. It can also be caused by parasites, an injury, or just straight up frustration (to put it delicately).

Hope he's ok
Well the Tissue is not Sticking out, I saw him lick the Buldges and Sort of the Inside of his Bottem was showing. Its not very Visable but he seems fine. I wasnt sure if he was feeling Pain or Excitement yesterday, Im not sure i know about whats going on with him but he looks ok and acts ok i was just worried about some like that popping up. Is a proplapsed Hempine very Visable? Otherwise Amanda adressed it Correctly.

Is the tissue staying out? If it goes back in he may just be masturbating (sorry couldn't think of a PG way to say that). Kai does it quite often. The white substance would be semen. It's kind of embarrassing when I have people over, but they usually don't catch on. Kai never seems like he's in pain though, just a little over-excited...

If it really is a prolapsed hemipene I can't help much except to say get him to a vet asap. Unfortunately it's Friday night, but you may be able to get him in somewhere tomorrow morning. Until then, there were some good suggestions in this thread:
http://www.geckotalk.com/index.php?threads/urgent-help-needed-prolapsed-hemipene.352/

I hope he's ok! Keep us updated!
Thanks Amanda. That information is really helpful, Im just not sure about whats going on with him. I just him licking the White Liquid and saw some thing Redish - Yellowish Up there. Its not sticking out and im sure its part of his Tissue but i was worried about if it was out of place. I would look under there but he prefers i dont because he hates when i touch his tail. What do you mean by Masturbating in a Leopard Gecko? I know what the word means by it Self but does it involve any thing in Particular with Leopard geckos? Any way i'll watch his Movements but he seems ok for right now. Could it be when he was shaking his Tail before and going hyper for the same reason hes doing this. Like i said before im not entirely sure that his Previous problem was because of the Scent of a male but it sure did cause some thing.

Geckomaster743

Well Ive finnaly confirmed there was Tissue sticking out but not Visable unless he licked the White substance and his Buldges moved. When it did come out it was like a Red Bubble but solid, He was able to re - insert it on his own but is it supposed to happen so offten? He does not seem Excited in particular he just closes his eyes and Licks the white Stuff off.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Yep, it sounds like he was just having a "male moment," as I call it. I don't know what triggers them to get so excited. Maybe they're trying to tell us they need a girlfriend, lol.

Geckomaster743

Yep, it sounds like he was just having a "male moment," as I call it. I don't know what triggers them to get so excited. Maybe they're trying to tell us they need a girlfriend, lol.
I have his enclouser next to 5 Females. Hes always starring through the glass. Haha! Sadly the last time i put a Female with him she was alot younger then him, He was about 8 Months old and she was maybe 5 Months. And he basicly bullied her by trying to snatch food and not let her in his hide. So one day i saw him bite her and she was out of there for good. Though hes always excited to see the Females running around the Cage :rolleyes:

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
I have his enclouser next to 5 Females. Hes always starring through the glass. Haha! Sadly the last time i put a Female with him she was alot younger then him, He was about 8 Months old and she was maybe 5 Months. And he basicly bullied her by trying to snatch food and not let her in his hide. So one day i saw him bite her and she was out of there for good. Though hes always excited to see the Females running around the Cage :rolleyes:

Block line of sight between the cages, and if possible move them apart. The fact that he's everting his hemipenes occasionally is not a problem on its own, however him being able to see them without any sort of outlet can very easily contribute to a prolapse. The $600+ in vet bills I had this month may be making me paranoid but generally for the males I wouldn't keep them in line of sight with any other geckos unless you are introducing them for mating.

Geckomaster743

Block line of sight between the cages, and if possible move them apart. The fact that he's everting his hemipenes occasionally is not a problem on its own, however him being able to see them without any sort of outlet can very easily contribute to a prolapse. The $600+ in vet bills I had this month may be making me paranoid but generally for the males I wouldn't keep them in line of sight with any other geckos unless you are introducing them for mating.
Thanks for the Information, Yeah he normally looks at them during feeding time because he sees them getting there share of worms. Since they get there food at different times he has that " Im hungry too look". Other then that if he comes out to Graze in the Sun he may occasionaly look at them.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Everything ended up ok then? Has it happened again since then?

Visit our friends