Proud Leopard Gecko

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
ab8v3.jpg

I've had a few pics of my other gecko sleeping in the cup of vermiculite that I use as a makeshift cage humidifier. My male Sam seems to have claimed it as his own now. Thought this pose had to be shared.

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
It is vermiculite. I put the cups in there with wet vermiculite as a cheap humidifier for the winter as it tends to get way too dry here. I got a tall glass so it wouldn't take up too much floorspace. I had no idea the geckos would claim it as their own.

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
You can find it at some hardware/gardening stores. I believe I got mine online when I got my incubator- it is ideal as a substrate for incubation so I always keep some on hand.

Charlie

Apocalypse910 I do warn you that Vermilight can be toxic if the gecko eats this. Ovbi if its getting all the right vits and calcium than there isnt any reason it should be eating it. But something to watch out for :) Also leopard geckos dont need a hell of alot of humidity only during shedding - good idea though x

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
Apocalypse910 I do warn you that Vermilight can be toxic if the gecko eats this. Ovbi if its getting all the right vits and calcium than there isnt any reason it should be eating it. But something to watch out for :) Also leopard geckos dont need a hell of alot of humidity only during shedding - good idea though x

Thanks for the heads up. Everything I had seen listed it as non-toxic but after you posted i did find this - http://la.rsmjournals.com/content/19/4/284.full.pdf which does document some magnesium toxicity in leos.

I haven't seen any indication of ingestion and it isn't anywhere where they'd accidentally eat it while hunting but I'll definitely keep an eye on it - thanks for the info!

I know leos are desert animals and don't need a ton of humidity. Unfortunately, however, during the winter months several of my geckos seem to have chronic shedding problems. The added humidity seems to help a lot. I don't bother with added humidity (besides the wet hide) during the summer as they seem to shed fine on their own.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Haha! I love the one of them "cuddling"!
Thanks for sharing!

Visit our friends