Quarantine (Wild Caught)

MoreGeckos

When you buy Wild Caught (If you ever do). If it be for maybe finding a new quirk or pattern to prove it out. What do you go threw to make sure it is healthy and ok to introduce it to your breeding colony.
Thank you for any information.

JordanAng420

I have a snake that was wild caught. I obtained her at Daytona 2011. I quarantined her for about 70 days (give or take) in a separate room. She was treated with Provent-a-mite alternated with Reptile Relief for the entire duration of her quarantine. Her fecal sample showed me 4 different types of parasites, one I couldn't directly identify. She was treated BY MY VET with a Panacur/Flagyl slurry.

Health wise, she looks and behaves like a brand new snake. Her attitude is exactly the same though. She's basically feral.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I always will have the vet check it out first (I work with an exotic vet) and then quarantine in a different room for a minimum of 90 days. I will do a follow up fecal at every 30 days and treat ectoparasites as needed. ANYTHING wild caught needs to be quarantined for enough time for potential issues to present themselves prior to introduction to the rest of your colony.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Any wild caughts I ever get I set up in a separate room and always clean last. I swear by Reptaid for parasite treatments. I leave them in the separate room for 60 days. After that they do go in the general AFT room, but in a different rack than the captive breds. I do treat all my geckos at least once a year with reptaid as a preventative.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Raptaid? It says it's for infections when I googled it

Did you happen to click on the first link when you googled it? Its the Reptaid website.. here is the first paragraph on the site "Reptaid was developed to target common reptile health issues. It includes a variety of oils and herbs specifically chosen for their ability to fight against parasites and infection."

Also under the link to the Reptaid site on google the description reads..."Reptaid fights reptile and amphibian infections and parasites such as coccidia, pinworm, roundworm."

Last edited:

Visit our friends