Question about Calcium, really need answers!

Spirituelle

I got my leo today! He's a boy, about eight months. I asked about calcium and calcium + D3, and the store owner said they really don't need it, and studies at the university say they don't need it and blahblahblah. He says that the gut loaded crickets provide all the calcium the leo needs. Not even a calcium dish in the tank. He said they only need calcium when they have bone problems, but isn't that how the problems start? From lack of calcium?

Help please! :eek:

I offer all my geckos calcium in a bowl they take what they want when they want and I have never had an issue.... I have not heard that they do not need it.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
They do need calcium! Most Leos will begin to develop MBD if they are not supplemented with calcium. We give each gecko a dish of calcium and dust their feeders weekly.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
They definitely need calcium and other supplements. Unsupplemented crickets have a very low Calcium:phosphorus ratio and do not meet the nutritional needs of any reptile. Gutloading must be done in a very intensive and controlled manner, and has been shown in studies to be truly effective only in pinhead crickets, not adults. Most of the "gutloading" people talk about is not true gutloading, it is simply feeding the crickets.

As for which supplements to use, ask a dozen keepers and you will get a dozen different answers. :D I use Repashy Calcium Plus at every feeding, and do not provide a dish of calcium in the enclosure.

Spirituelle

Thanks for the replies! I was getting really worried.

I think I'll go with what I originally planned, calcium dusting every feeding and D3/vitamins once a week, along with a calcium dish in the tank.

I'll get them first thing tomorrow! :D

Visit our friends