Question about weight

equinelove93

I have a question about one of the normal hatchlings i kept from my first breeding season. Temp sexed to be female. She was hatched at the very end of april so is almost 2 months old. She hatched out the smallest of all her clutch mates..basically the smallest leo hatchling I've seen.

I've raised hatchlings and juveniles before . But she seems very heavy for her age. I weighed her today on a digital scale and ahe weighed in at 25 grams! For a two month old it sounds a little hefty to me. she does look a little chubby. But is this considered average? Theres a possibility for giant genetics from the mothers side. I feed her everyday once a day.
What do you guys think? Just a really fat gecko? Should i decrease her food intake a little bit (im hesitant as she is growing)
b8394768a8332713fd0cddd32043186f.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DrCarrotTail

I feed my babies twice a week after they hit 10g and once a week after they hit 30g. If fed more often or more than 30 mealworms a week I've seen them easily hit 25g at just a couple months old. I think growing them a bit more slowly is better for their long term health. Pretty baby you have there!

equinelove93

I feed my babies twice a week after they hit 10g and once a week after they hit 30g. If fed more often or more than 30 mealworms a week I've seen them easily hit 25g at just a couple months old. I think growing them a bit more slowly is better for their long term health. Pretty baby you have there!
Thank you very much for the information. Everything i read said to feed juveniles everyday. I had no idea that food could be reduced after a certain weight it met rather than age. Always learning. Thanks :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DrCarrotTail

I fed mine everyday my first season. I now feed twice a week. I like the babies to hit 10g as I feel that's a "safe" weight where they can handle a bit more stress like shows and shipping but after that I feed much less often. I weighed my guys every week or two for my first couple seasons and found a happy medium where they'd gain about .5-1g a week. It differs based on what you're feeding, your geckos max size and how warm you're keeping them so everyone needs to kind of figure it out for themselves. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. They are some of the hardiest animals on the planet IMO and build to go weeks without food or water (tho I wouldn't try it willingly!) so I learned not to worry as much as I did in the beginning :) Best of luck with your guys!

Visit our friends