Question for experienced crestie breeders.....

Geckotopia

So one of my females came gravid. According to the guy I bought her from, the eggs she layer with me were her first. I was told that one copulation can produce more than one month of fertile eggs. Is this true? When should I consider introducing her to my male?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I'm not experienced, but I've heard that females can store a males sperm for several months. They will lay eggs in batches of two every month (? not sure about the time) until they are done. I don't know how long that takes.

Jetfire

I had a female last year that got territorial with my other females, so I separated her to a solo setup, and she gave me 5 good clutches AFTER she was segregated.she had laid her first clutch before being taken out, and had no other gecko contact once separated

Jetfire

They lay their eggs roughly 4 weeks apart, almost always 2 eggs.they'll lay year round if you keep the male with the female,I always take the male out for a couple months to rest the girls a little.

Jetfire

It can't hurt to introduce them as soon as she clears quarantine.if she's storing sperm, she probably won't be very receptive to him, but you never know

Geckotopia

I might introduce them next month- she is starting to look gravid again just by watching her size and where she's pudgy. Since she laid 3 days after I bought her, it was really clear to see the weight change.... I don't want to stress her out right now. Thank you for the advice,I may ride out one or 2 more clutches before I try it.

Visit our friends