Questions on SuperHatch and Little Giant

cowana

I picked up a rescue female High Yellow het Tremper female that was kept unwittingly with a male (both supposedly TSF and she never bothered to check them as they grew) from a former coworker. I posted a pic under Breeding because I suspect she maybe gravid but I'm uncertain. (EDIT: Aliza says probably not gravid! Yay! Hoping she won't lay a clutch but got a box incase.) I'm worried about her since she is small and young... 8 months, 6.5 inches, 44g. I have her in quarantine with everything she needs. Any opinions on her condition would help ease my mind so I know whether to worry or what steps to take.

I have a pouch of Repashy SuperHatch already to use if needed.. Not quite sure if after I soak it for 15-20 minutes, is it better to drain with cheese cloth or a strainer? How long? Till stops dripping?

I'm going to Tractor Supply today to pick up a Little Giant incubator and I already have a Zilla thermostat. Do I need to put water in a cup in the incubator to maintain humidity? Also, should I use deli cups for each clutch laid or a shoe box and just add eggs as they're laid (so I know how much SuperHatch to do initially)? Do I put holes in the container with SuperHatch or ventilate weekly?

Any tips for success is greatly appreciated!

Amy

Last edited:

SCGeckos

Super hatch is simply a Clay Substrate Aggregate. All you do is soak it for a few minutes and then pour off the remaining standing water. Simple as that. Don't over think it.
As far as the incubator Little Giant Hovabator comes with a "wafer style" thermostat built into it. You can replace it with a more high tech thermostat if you choose.
For the incubation containers I would recommend simple 8oz or 16oz deli cups and use one for each clutch. If you are dealing with more eggs you could always get a couple egg organizing trays to optimize the room you have. I personally don't put holes in any of my incubation boxes I just open the cups once a week to circulate fresh air.

cowana

Thank you so much! I am hoping I won't have to use either for a good long while, but I appreciate the advice! I feel much more confident now. Thanks again!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Another thing to keep in mind about this incubator: it heats only and doesn't cool. That means that if (in the summer) the ambient temperature of the room gets higher than the incubation temp, the temp inside the incubator will go up too. That's why I switched to the mini-fridge type of incubator since I live in New England and don't have AC.

Aliza

cowana

Thanks for letting me know! I do have AC, and of course heat. But that will be good to keep in mind.

The incubator would be kept in my spare room and at night the rest of the house likes a temp drop. So right now we run the heat about 72 during the day and 67 at night. I will be best off with a more high tech thermostat right? To help prevent temp fluctuations?During the summer we are pretty consistent with the AC around 75 day and night.

I eventually want to get a nicer incubator when I'm actually ready to breed, but this is my just in case incubator since I thought this girl may be gravid.

Amy

Visit our friends